Taking A Break From Cakes

Decorating By quilting2011 Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 4:13pm by Deb_

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 6:33am
post #1 of 8

I just stepped on the scale-gained weight. Stress from tax season and snacking. I rejoined weight watchers - Sugar and flower make me gain weight. I just have to lose 15 pounds.

I am on a no flour no sugar diet, and staying away from junk food too

Also exercising.

Any cc members going on a diet? Did anyone have health issues from working as a cake decorator and gaining weight?

7 replies
lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 6:44am
post #2 of 8

I am gonna start Weight Watchers in a week. I am 8 week post pardom, doc said have to wait another week! I never really ate my cakes and cookies until I had this baby, now I try everything!

Good Luck!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 6:47am
post #3 of 8

Good for you - fortunatley i am not a sweet tooth person but on the rare occassion that i think i might want to taste that little bit of left over cake or sugar decoration i say OUTLOUD -

YOUR HIPS AND HEART DON'T WANT IT BLUEHUE -
By saying it outloud means i can hear it loud and clear and stops me from doing so. icon_redface.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Plus the little magnet on the side of my fridge constantly rings in my ears....
CHOCOLATE/CAKE PICKERS WEAR BIG KNICKERS - icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Credit to you for doing something about it now and not when it is 115 pounds. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Bh.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 6:54am
post #4 of 8

Good luck on your endeavor of losing weight -- the final result will be worth the sacrifice.

Just a few helpful hinters (I'm an ACE certified trainer and have taking a plethora of nutrition classes)...

-make sure when you 'cut out sugar' you don't eat those 'sugar-free' or 'low-sugar' foods. They end up being about the same amount of calories, not nearly as satisfying as the real thing, an a diet breaker. Just avoid them!

-Make sure you eat plenty of protein. It fills you up really easily, is generally a pretty low calorie food (especially if you eat lean meats like turkey for lunch, or fishes), and is extremely healthy.

-Don't feel bad to eat a little junk here and there. It keeps you satisfied. Just eat a bite and be done with it. My BF has an amazing metabolism and is always eating the junk that I crave. To satisfy my cravings I always take a bite of what he's eating but stop there.

- Try to chew gum while baking sweets. The two don't mix well!

-Exercise! Park further away and take the stairs

-Stay positive!!

I hope that helps a bit icon_smile.gif

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 7:25am
post #5 of 8

I should definitely join you! I have gained after a long winter and some medication. I dread a long hot summer with my thighs rubbing together with every step icon_cry.gif I think just wearing latex gloves constantly in the kitchen and chewing gum will help me. Nothing smells good on the way to my mouth with latex gloves, and a strong minty gum usually works. Maybe if we walked around the block while the cakes are in the oven? We could walk in the house, check them, and walk around again. Hey, it's better than standing around doing dishes until the timer goes off!

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the tips

I joined weight watchers. I started walking more and avoid the elevators in NY apartment.

Today my family and I are visiting museums and walking.

I decided to avoid all forms of sugar and flour. It has worked. Eating lean means, vegetables, and salads.

I quit baking for now.

I also started working out at the local gym. Cardio and weights.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindambc

I am gonna start Weight Watchers in a week. I am 8 week post pardom, doc said have to wait another week! I never really ate my cakes and cookies until I had this baby, now I try everything!

Good Luck!

That's so funny, lindambc...I never had a sweet tooth...until after my third child (who is now 6 mos old...) Now I actually crave this stuff more than when I was pregnant! ugh!!
There's an elliptical with my name on it upstairs.....

icon_cry.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:13pm
post #8 of 8

I lost 85lbs on Weight Watchers 2 yrs ago, and I've kept it off so far with still counting my daily point intake.

I'm not sure I can just blame the baking on my huge weight gain though icon_lol.gif I just love to eat!

WW is a great diet, I think you'll do well on it. It's amazing what an "eye opener" it is to count the points in what we eat. I could not believe how poorly I had been eating before I started WW. I only ate dinner every day, but I would snack on bad things throughout the day leading up to dinner.

Now I eat 3 meals a day and 3 snacks and I've been able to keep the weight off. It's definitely a "life change" and not a diet, that's what you should tell yourself.

Once I reached my goal weight, I allowed myself a "free day" on the weekend. If we go out to dinner and I want a second glass of wine or a dessert I order it and don't feel guilty about it. I'm the type of person that needs to be rewarded at least once a week. It gives me something to look forward to.

Then the next day I get right back on track.

Good luck!
Deb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%