How To Get Cornstarch Off Black Satin Ice Fondant?

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 8 May 2009 , 8:51am by sara91

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:21am
post #1 of 15

I am going to be using black and i am thinking the cornstarch is going to get all over the black and make a mess...any tips please?

14 replies
calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:28am
post #2 of 15

I use shortening on my work space to keep it from sticking!

HTH

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:31am
post #3 of 15

I usually dust it off with a BARELY damp paper towel...I'm talking like maybe 2 tiny drops of water sprinkled on it. Sometimes a dry paper towel works, but it depends on how much is on there!

eneq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eneq Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:38am
post #4 of 15

rub it down with shortening, or dust off then airbrush with vodka to remove white residue.

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:41am
post #5 of 15

I use a soft brush to dust it off and have never had a problem. I think I've read on here to use clear alcohol like rum or vodka. It dries up so it wont leave any sign of being wet behind. I have never tried that though.

chefcindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefcindy Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:44am
post #6 of 15

I brush with a small amount of vodka, it does dry, but it will leave it shiny.

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:48am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefcindy

I brush with a small amount of vodka, it does dry, but it will leave it shiny.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if it did or didn't leave it shiney.

madgeowens Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 7:27am
post #8 of 15

You can put crisco on the roll out sheet(plastic) instead of corstarch? Thanks for the tips.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 7:56am
post #9 of 15

I roll mine out on a sheet of clear vinyl table cover (from wally world fabric section) without anything underneath. I then turn it upside down over the cake and peel it off. It keeps it clear of cornstarch and prevents drying too soon. Many top decorators use this method. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:14am
post #10 of 15

Thank you so much. I wish I knew that before I bought that expensive fondant mat LOL. You learn soooooooo much in here.

AlanT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlanT Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:58pm
post #11 of 15

If you want a shiny finish, use the clear vinyl method posted above. If you are not so worried about a high shine, you can use unsweetened cocoa powder and brush off the excess. If you use powdered sugar or cornstarch, the shortening trick works well.

Cornstarch is not the best medium for rolling out fondant. I highly recommend using an Ateco silicone mat and a very light dusting of powdered sugar in a puff. Cornstarch is very drying and will cause the fondant to crack. All makers of fondant recommend powdered sugar-not cornstarch. Alan

madgeowens Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:06pm
post #12 of 15

I used the plastic sheet to roll out and peel back method and the next day the collar on my leather jacker cake was all cracked and falling off.........did I do something wrong? I kept it in a electric oven OFF of course, but did not wrap it....was that the problem....for next time what do I do

AlanT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlanT Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:13pm
post #13 of 15

Was you over light on? If so, you dried out the fondant. Also, there is a lot of residural heat in an oven if it is part of a stove top. Every time you use the stove, the oven gets warmed up and would dry the fondant. Alan

madgeowens Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:51pm
post #14 of 15

No, the light was off and its a wall oven, thats why I thought it the perfect place to store it.

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:51am
post #15 of 15

Don't use cornstarch for rolling out fondant. It has starch in it and will cause spoilage when it comes in contact with moisture. This might be okay for some people with cakes that are going to be eaten within a day or two. It is best to get in the habit of using icing sugar or white fat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%