Sos On Toba Garrett Fondant

Decorating By yummymummycakes Updated 30 Mar 2009 , 2:57am by trumpetmidget

yummymummycakes Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:35am
post #1 of 2

I have made my first batch of Toba's fondant and it is crumbling and still feels sticky to me.

I made sure that gelatine etc was dissolved and clear before adding it to the powered sugar.

I was wondering if I should have allowed it to cool slightly before adding it? It was really only body temp though....

Or is it possibly the fact that I added Americolor purple as I was mixing it?

It started off really sticky so I added more powered sugar and then the shortening to try and get rid of the stickyness and now it is sticky and crumbly!!!

Do I need to start again? Is it the colouring that has done it? Any help appreciated.

1 reply
trumpetmidget Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:57am
post #2 of 2

Did you add too much or too little water? Adding the color as you were mixing it might cause problems, but I'm not too sure about that. Was the corn syrup and gelatine completely disolved and melted with each other? I am guessing that you may not have enough liquid if it is crumbly (are you talking like coffee cake crumbling?) If it is sticky sticky and crisco isn't helping, there may not be enough sugar. You use basically the entire 2lbs of sugar for tobas. I guess I didn't help you. Tobas fondant is very easy to use, but it may take a couple times of making it. Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%