Extensions String Work??

Decorating By korkyo Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 3:12am by korkyo

korkyo Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:58am
post #1 of 15

I'm trying to find a tutorial for extension stringwork... or even a book.
I tried Utube but could not get anything that specific.

Anybody??

14 replies
SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:05am
post #2 of 15

toba garrett has a book with quite a bit of info on string/extension work, tyring to think which it is. i have it, but i'm not in my studio right now...

the well decorated cake

? maybe that's it? correct me people if i'm wrong

bitofsnshn Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:47am
post #3 of 15

I have Extension work by Christine FLinn. Appears to be going up in price probably because there are not a lot of books that go into detail about stringwork.

http://product.half.ebay.com/Extension-Work_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ552107

I don't know if this book explains the basics as much as it gives you more advanced techniques in stringwork.

GI Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:01am
post #4 of 15

http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movies-Music-Games/The-Well-Decorated-Cake/911896/product.html

Toba Garrett's The Well Decorated Cake. This whole book is fabulous. She goes in to great depths of coloring, stringwork, bridge work, icing, cake, recipes, flowers, gumpaste, on and on and on. I can't believe they only want $10 bucks for this book. Its probably the best $10 anyone could ever spend on a cake book.

GI Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:26am
post #5 of 15

The first Caker that comes to mind with string work is our own ShirleyW. She is away from CC for awhile, but all her pix are still up. She does absolutely FANTASTIC string work. It's eyepopping. As in Holy WOW but it's so cool.

If you do a search by shirleyW in the galleries, her work comes up. Also, she has a flickerphotos that she has put in on her pictures. Her cake artistry is an inspiration. Take a browse thru and you can see she always answers anyones questions, too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cakeicer/

Cakemommy is another string work caker here. She does fantastic work, too. I love her attention to each string. Her bridge work in these photos are just picture-ad perfect.

Are these just stunning or what. I would LUV to learn this stringwork. (I practice, icon_redface.gif , and that's about all!)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_234273.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_49834.html

2txmedics Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:13am
post #6 of 15

I'd also like to see a video on this...Im more of a visual person...I did find these clips on you tube...give little things here and there for some stuff...havent watched it all....I just searched: Cake Decorators.
Hope this helps somebody....

GI Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 7:06am
post #7 of 15

Thanks 2txmedics. I opened the utube and got a virus attack. yikes! I'm on utube alot, so not sure if it was these links or not! The guy that does the butterflies & the chocolate seahorse...that's where I got the Trojan attacking..

Well, perhaps I'll try it another time. icon_confused.gif

Gefion Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 7:30am
post #8 of 15

Linda Wong's "Floating on Air" is great for both floating and fixed extension work.

vicksmaw Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 7:35am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Thanks 2txmedics. I opened the utube and got a virus attack. yikes! I'm on utube alot, so not sure if it was these links or not! The guy that does the butterflies & the chocolate seahorse...that's where I got the Trojan attacking..

Well, perhaps I'll try it another time. icon_confused.gif

I got a virus on utube also a trojan attacking one .
Also wanted to say Geraldine Randlesome has a book on string work

2txmedics Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:49pm
post #10 of 15

Really! I was there last night, and so far nothing...ive gone there before...But I will keep an eye out for it.

so Does anyone know what Show Peels are? I tried to do a search and got nothing....

GI Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 15

I haven't been on utube in about a week. But when I opened up the 2 with the foreign-country guy, then it was like POW! I copied the screen so I could check it out today....(the virus)

"Trojan Horse IRC/Backdoor.SdBot4.FRV"

was the worst one. I ran spysweeper icon_biggrin.gif and it kicked it's butt! icon_lol.gif

GI Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:23pm
post #12 of 15

Show peel molds are a fancy word for putting the chocolate on a mold outline and then peeling off the mold to your decoration. He made butterfly and seahorse. They are silicone molds. If you have a silicone cupcake holder or perhaps another piece of silicone, you could try it and see how you like it.

I have hard plastic molds. I was going to try it, but I think the deco would break.

2txmedics Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:35pm
post #13 of 15

Now I know!!! Thanks so much, and makes sense...dummy me...lol... thumbs_up.gif SHOW PEELS......yes, yes...I know ... icon_lol.gif another step closer to knowing more...thanks

GI Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:08am
post #14 of 15

Well, shucks. I spent a good amount of time on utube to see if I could come up with any stringwork or bridgework tutorials. Maybe we convince some of our better decorators here to obligue! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I couldn't find anything, either. I'll bet they'd have a ton of hits on their utube account. icon_wink.gif

korkyo Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:12am
post #15 of 15

Very cool!! Thanks for all the suggested reading stuff. Exactly what I needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%