Smoothing Buttercream Question

Decorating By Lenette Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 3:02am by sugarshack

Lenette Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:27am
post #1 of 4

I really struggle with smoothing buttercream. It is so frustrating to me as I feel it takes away from the polished look of the cake.

I was sitting here stewing on this (and contemplating being a fondant only caker icon_wink.gif ) when it occurred to me that maybe the consistency is a factor.

So, in your experience does a thinner buttercream smooth better than thicker consistency?

Of course this has no bearing with the SMBC issues...and my square cake impairment is another thread altogether. icon_rolleyes.gif

Do you ever feel that for every one thing that you do well on a cake there are three flaws?

3 replies
sugarshack Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:03am
post #2 of 4

answer to last question: Yes.

Now, on to buttercream. It is my firm belief that you have to have a really good recipe at the right consistency to get good results. I like my recipe of course, but the other 2 big favs on this site are from Indydebi and serious cakes.

I like my icing stiff, I get sharper edges and corners.

Here is a link to my recipe and tips and a video of how I make it with no air in it.

ask away if you have questions.

recipe and smoothing tips ( i no longer sifticon_smile.gif

Lenette Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:14am
post #3 of 4

Sugar Shack! Your cakes have no flaws!!! icon_biggrin.gif
At least none that can be seen by the naked eye!

I have your video and I believe your recipe is there, I remember you going over it but I can't really apply the techniques since mine is so different and doesn't crust.

Maybe I will just have to go for a different recipe afterall.

Maybe it should be stiffer instead of thinner, I hadn't thought about that. I guess I need to play around as well as trying different recipes.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

sugarshack Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:02am
post #4 of 4

I have ZERO experience with non crusting icings, and I am sure there are experts here who will help you with that.

I can tell you that I have read that u can use the scraper technique like i show in the dvd on the sides, then chill the cake firm, and come back and do it again with the hot scraper for a final smoothing.

\ot sure if that is any help at all. i keep saying i am going to try it one day but never seem to find time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%