Smoothing Buttercream Question

Decorating By Lenette Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 3:02am by sugarshack

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:27am
post #1 of 4

I really struggle with smoothing buttercream. It is so frustrating to me as I feel it takes away from the polished look of the cake.

I was sitting here stewing on this (and contemplating being a fondant only caker icon_wink.gif ) when it occurred to me that maybe the consistency is a factor.

So, in your experience does a thinner buttercream smooth better than thicker consistency?

Of course this has no bearing with the SMBC issues...and my square cake impairment is another thread altogether. icon_rolleyes.gif

Do you ever feel that for every one thing that you do well on a cake there are three flaws?

3 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:03am
post #2 of 4

answer to last question: Yes.

Now, on to buttercream. It is my firm belief that you have to have a really good recipe at the right consistency to get good results. I like my recipe of course, but the other 2 big favs on this site are from Indydebi and serious cakes.

I like my icing stiff, I get sharper edges and corners.

Here is a link to my recipe and tips and a video of how I make it with no air in it.

ask away if you have questions.

recipe and smoothing tips ( i no longer sifticon_smile.gif

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:14am
post #3 of 4

Sugar Shack! Your cakes have no flaws!!! icon_biggrin.gif
At least none that can be seen by the naked eye!

I have your video and I believe your recipe is there, I remember you going over it but I can't really apply the techniques since mine is so different and doesn't crust.

Maybe I will just have to go for a different recipe afterall.

Maybe it should be stiffer instead of thinner, I hadn't thought about that. I guess I need to play around as well as trying different recipes.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:02am
post #4 of 4

Lenette,
I have ZERO experience with non crusting icings, and I am sure there are experts here who will help you with that.

I can tell you that I have read that u can use the scraper technique like i show in the dvd on the sides, then chill the cake firm, and come back and do it again with the hot scraper for a final smoothing.

\ot sure if that is any help at all. i keep saying i am going to try it one day but never seem to find time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%