Getting Crums On The Crusting & Buttercream ={

Baking By miasuzzette Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 1:05am by sweetspotter

miasuzzette Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 11

icon_sad.gif Hi, To all. I need help. What am I doing wrong. I crust the Cake & Crumbs gets on it, When, I'm finish crusting.I put it in the refrigerator for an 1 hour or so, Then I Buttercream the Cake & crumbs gets on it, When, I spread the Buttercream, What i'm doing wrong? What can I do to avoid this.... icon_cry.gif Thanks for your responds, Good day thumbs_up.gif

Margie thumbs_up.gif

10 replies
ski Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 11

Well I usually crumb coat , then wait just a few minutes and put on my regular icing coat. Also are you using an icer? If not , that will eliminate having to crumb coat at all!

Mizuki Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 11

I would suggest using an icing tip. It looks like a giant basket weave tip and alleviates the crumb problem. thumbs_up.gif

LisaR64 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 11

Make sure you put the icing on thick enough and don't push too hard when you smooth it. I use 1/3" to 1/2" thick icing; that way I can smooth the surface of the icing without ever touching the original crumb coat. Also, make sure to clean your spatula between swipes. I'm still learning to do buttercream myself, but I can see improvement in my icing since I've been doing it this way.

nickymom Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam7

I would suggest using an icing tip. It looks like a giant basket weave tip and alleviates the crumb problem. thumbs_up.gif

Ditto!

cambo Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 11

I agree with LisaR64....make sure you put on a nice thick coat of buttercream....and really glob it on to start, making sure that your spatula never makes contact with the cake....only the icing itself. When you have it covered, then you can go back and smooth the icing, taking off enough to do so, but not so much that you're close to touching the cake underneath and kicking up crumbs! Good luck to you!

didavista Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:47pm
post #7 of 11

Just wanted to add, that sometime when mine is too thick it pulls the cake. Maybe try thinning your icing a little bit.

prterrell Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:53am
post #8 of 11

Never pull your spatula directly away from the cake (straight up or straight away from the side), that will cause the icing and the cake to pull away and stick to your spatula.

SeriousCakes Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:23am
post #9 of 11

Here you go thumbs_up.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqvL4zhVbE8&feature=channel_page

I never put mine in the fridge though, just do a quick crumb coat on the sides to even everything out then frost with the icer tip.

DelectabilityCakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:33pm
post #10 of 11

I still have that problem. I'm trying to figure out how to not have to pay that wilton icing tip.. it's a shame that everything you need you have to buy.. there's not really a way to do it the homemade easy way.

Such is the price of perfection I guess.

sweetspotter Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:05am
post #11 of 11

I don't use the wilton icing tip... if I want to distribute my icing that way I just cut enough off the bottom of a disposable bag so a lot of icing comes out. Nothing extra to buy!

Mostly I crumb coat, refrigerate for an hour, and then LOAD the icing on the top center of my cake, turning my cake stand and pushing OUT ONLY on the icing...I don't pull the spatula back, because crumbs pull back with the icing. My first two cakes drove me crazy until I realized that it was better to just use a ton of icing at first - as you continue smoothing, etc, and cleaning off your spatula, it just ends up right. Also my first cake, especially, my buttercream was way too thick and kept lifting and pulling crumbs with it.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%