What Do I Do? Cake Baked Uneven

Decorating By dsimkovic Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 4:05am by dsimkovic

dsimkovic Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 4

I have two rectangular cakes that I'm working on. They baked much higher on one corner than the other. I thought about taking pieces that I cut off the top when "leveling" the cake and patching the low corner by just laying them on top and trying to put some crumb coat on. But I'm thinking that's just going to pull the "patching pieces" off with the crumb coat.

Is there a solution for this problem?

3 replies
leah_s Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 4

Well, first you need to level your oven. And other than that your idea will work.

majka_ze Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 4

I agree, you need to check your oven. Lay a water gauge on top of it, see if your oven hasn't set and isn't leaning to one side.
If this wasn't the problem, check the oven for hot spots. Easiest way is to bake a full sheet of cookies, all the same size and look where they start to burn. If it is in one spot mostly, bake your cakes in the future off this spot of your oven.

But patching the cake will work. Give a thin layer of buttercream between the two layers to glue it together and you can crumb coat it as usual.

dsimkovic Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:05am
post #4 of 4

Here's what I did...I took what was supposed to have been the top layer (the part with all the patching) and that became the bottom layer so my patches are now safely hidden under the filling inside the cake. The former bottom layer was put on top, upside down so I had a nice flat surface for the crumb coat.

(also told the hubby to level the oven tomorrow) icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%