Am I The Only One Who This Has Happend Too?

Decorating By SweetSweetCreations Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 12:14am by SweetSweetCreations

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 13

So about a month ago I delivered an order of cupcakes and 6" cake to a client. The 6" was messed up when we got there so I didn't charge her for the order. I am self-taught with about 1 1/2 years under my belt, I bake from home and I am pretty busy with word of mouth business. The lady was happy and said she had reffered me to a friend and would be calling me again so ok. Well I am a nervous wreck now, every cake I have done has been less than I am capable of. I don't know what it is. The clients are still happy but I can tell they are not what they should be. I made a starbucks cake for a birthday gift yesterday and didn't think I was gonna be able to do it and it still wasn't right. The fondant I tried to put on it didn't work out so I did it in buttercream which as we all know isn't the same look. It is cute and my sister in law loved it even though it was kinda leaning by the time we got it to her. So am I the only one this has happened to? I hope I snap out of this soon icon_cry.gif 
LL

12 replies
gringa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gringa Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 13

Don't fret my dear. Your work is excellent. DARLING Starbucks cake.....your mojo isn't gone, relax. Some cakes are just better than others, for whatever reason! Keep on caking!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 13

First...put down the icing bag, now take a deep breath! icon_biggrin.gif

I think this has happened (or happens) to most decorators from time to time. Your Starbucks cake rocks thumbs_up.gif . The cup itself-wow- I can't believe that's a piped logo. I adore the "tile" cake board-nice touch!

As is said here over and over, "We are our own worst critics"! If your clients are happy, girl, just keep bakin' and that queasy nervous feeling surely will fade!

Warm regards, and a belated welcome to CC!
(And do you think I could have used any more exclamation points?!? icon_razz.gif )

Oh, and if you will be doing stacked cakes do yourself a huge favor and look into the SPS-see the sticky leahs posted at the top of the How Do I? forum icon_wink.gif .

laurabeth595 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurabeth595 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 13

so i understand how you feel. i have been decorating about the same amount time as you. we mess up sometimes. its okay. we dont have as much experience as everybody else does so we have to work harder to prove ourselves. have you thought about freezing the cake before you deliver it so it will be sturdy on the way. i dont know how fondant is but i know butter cream freezes well. we will get it. its okay. the challenge is why we do it.

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 13

your cakes are beautiful, don't worry one bit....keep in mind that you see all the little things on the cake that you don't like but the customer doesn't see that. I have had that happen before though....it seemed like every cake was not what I had in mind. It happens sometimes....don't give up

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonfulofSugar

....it seemed like every cake was not what I had in mind. It happens sometimes....don't give up

Oh, how many times have I said to myself, "Well, it's not bad, but if that cake had turned out like I had it 'in-my-head' it would have been AWESOME! icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 13

I mean if your stuff is sucking like you said who did the Starbucks cake for yah? That's freaking awesome.

SweetSweetCreations Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you so much. This site is great, I am not sure which is more addictive this site or actually decorating cakes. icon_smile.gif

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:38pm
post #9 of 13

so I'm reading your post thinking well maybe this lady shouldn't be selling cakes if they are so bad.....I go to your photos.......... icon_eek.gif your cakes are GORGEOUS. I commented on the red/black/white one before I ever saw this post! I think you are way over criticising yourself! Have confidence......people wouldn't order from you if they weren't liking what they are getting--they also wouldn't be passing your name on to others! By the way I love the Starbucks coffee cake--how did you do the lid of the cup?

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:39pm
post #10 of 13

Your cake is awesome!! I know how you feel though. One thing I have learned is if I don't actually plan my cakes ... (I mean step by step & written down/drawn, not just in my head), and then give lots of time to do it, then I feel it's not as good as it could have been. It feels rushed or slapped together. I only recently realized this was why I wasn't as satisfied with my cakes as the customers were. icon_redface.gif

Christian0423 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christian0423 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:44pm
post #11 of 13

Your cakes are great! I feel the same way about my cakes. I know they could be so much better! I work a full time job on top of my "cake business", but that's no excuse for me. But everyone loves the cakes. Hopefully when I have the time needed to do a cake the way I know it should be done, my cakes will improve.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:44pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonfulofSugar

....it seemed like every cake was not what I had in mind. It happens sometimes....don't give up

Oh, how many times have I said to myself, "Well, it's not bad, but if that cake had turned out like I had it 'in-my-head' it would have been AWESOME! icon_lol.gif

AMEN! We all think that at one time or another. Several weeks ago I came online late one Friday night with problems I was having on a wedding cake that wasn't working out like it should. With help and support from loyal CCers I pulled an all nighter, finished the cake and posted the photos at 6:00 a.m. Bride loved the cake, word has gotten around and 2 days ago got a request for 2 birthday cakes due this morning!

As has been said before and will again - we are our own worst critics. Sometimes we are battling the clock and we have to rush to get things finished. Only we know what should have been done and we didn't get to it due to time constraints.

Take a deep breath, take a few hours away from it all (that's when I organize my cake stuff) and wait for the next order. It's all in the nature of what we love to do!

Everything will be fine!
thumbs_up.gif
Pam

SweetSweetCreations Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:14am
post #13 of 13

[ By the way I love the Starbucks coffee cake--how did you do the lid of the cup?[/quote]

The Coffee Cup is all in buttercream, I just added extra icing on top and took some off the edges.
Thanks everyone it makes me feel better to get some positive feedback. My husband woke me up this morning to tell me the cake was leaning.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%