Adding Meringue Powder To Boxed Cake Mix?

Decorating By Liniti Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 2:51am by Liniti

Liniti Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 6

I just read on another cake site (no, I'm not a traitor, was checking out supplies and they had a cake decorating forum so I had to take a peek), where several posters recommended adding 1-2 T. of meringue powder to your boxed cake mixes. It gives it "volume and makes it a firmer cake", so they said. My question is.....straight from a newbie's curiosity....why would you want to give a cake "more volume" when you would have to level it off anyway? To me, it's just making more work. What say you? icon_smile.gif

icon_redface.gif Edited to add: I'm really not trying to be a smart aleck, I'm just wondering if I should be adding meringue powder to my cake mixes to make them a better consistency.

5 replies
kakeladi Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:31am
post #2 of 6

Did you know that Wilton is in the business of selling product (meringue powder)? icon_smile.gif Yeah, I'm being a smart aleck.
The theory is you are adding additional egg white which makes the cake lighter and rise better.....but you are also adding a whole lot of chemicals (added to the meringue powder) icon_sad.gif

DsLady614 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:48am
post #3 of 6

Someone who called himself a chef told me to do that once. He wasn't even paid to sell Wilton products. Doesn't work! Can't imagine why he would have told me that. Doesn't matter what you put in the mix, if you're not using enough batter, the cake is gonna be short. I guess I should have known when the only people who would hire him as a "chef" was the US Coast Guard!

Cakepro Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:00am
post #4 of 6

The theory is sound.

If you want to lighten up your cake, whip a couple of egg whites into a stiff foam and gently fold them into your batter just before adding to the cake pans. icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:02am
post #5 of 6

Never heard to add meringue powder, but I do add an extra egg if the mix only calls for 3. I like the results.

Rae

Liniti Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:51am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the replies, I don't think I'll be adding any meringue powder to my mixes. I was just curious.....oh, btw, I didn't read that on the Wilton's site.....lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%