I Had The Best Cake Ever Today And It Puts Mine To Shame!!!

Baking By KookieKris Updated 16 May 2009 , 7:53am by lostincake

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 22

Hi All!
I went to a baby shower today and I had the best cake ever there!
I mean, it was knock your socks off yummy!
It was a white cake that was super moist and flavorful (not almond but a lot of vanilla)
I have tried a few scratch and a bunch of Enhanced Recipes and I can honestly say none of my cakes have ever tasted like this!

I want to find a recipe that is just as moist, soft and yummy as the cake I had today.

Any suggestions?
Thanks! icon_smile.gif

21 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 22

I made Sylvia Weinstock's white cake last week, and I finally understand why people can say they taste a box mix. It had such a pure vanilla flavor that I just loved... Unfortunately, I doctored a white mix that same day and everyone else preferred the mix icon_sad.gif
Anyway, as for vanilla flavor, that is the cake to try!

KookieKris Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 22

Thanks foxy! Out of curiosity ~ What doctored mix do you use?

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 22

I just made Colette Peters' Heavenly White Cake today and it was pretty good flavour-wise and was super moist. The flavour was unique due to the brown sugar but it did not turn out white at all because of the brown sugar lol.[/i]

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 22

Just a thought, did you ask? Was the cake baker there? Did they purchase from a shop?

KookieKris Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 22

I did ask. They purchased from a local bakery. It was a family event so I was a little offended when they didn't ask me ~ until I tried the cake!!

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 22

I would totally do some recon on that bakery icon_lol.gif

VickiChicki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiChicki Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:18pm
post #8 of 22

I use either Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker White mix, but I doctor with either buttermilk or whole milk instead of water and I add extra vanilla and people RAVE over our white cake. It does NOT taste like a boxed mix at all. I do sometimes add a little almond flavor as well and it is ymmy!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:30pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlin28

I just made Colette Peters' Heavenly White Cake today and it was pretty good flavour-wise and was super moist. The flavour was unique due to the brown sugar but it did not turn out white at all because of the brown sugar lol.[/i]

I tried Collette's Heavenly White cake myself, just two days ago. I used her suggested variation of adding 1/2 cup almond paste when you cream the butter/sugar and 2 tsp almond extract in addition to the vanilla.

It was superb! Moist but a good solid structure ideal for stacking. And the almond flavor was to die for. It definitely wasn't pure white, or yellow for that matter. Maybe more of a champagne color. I'll definitely be using it again.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:32pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KookieKris

I did ask. They purchased from a local bakery. It was a family event so I was a little offended when they didn't ask me ~ until I tried the cake!!

Well shucks! I would almost go visit the bakery to get a cake and send it off to CSI! icon_lol.gif

KookieKris Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:32pm
post #11 of 22

Let me also say that I was emphasizing the cake tasted like vanilla ~ not almond but I am not opposed to an almond flavoring.
I've tried Kakeladi's WASC recipe and although it has a great flavor, it seems to come out dry for me. Not soft, fluffy and moist like the one I had today. Maybe I'm baking it too long?

foxymomma521 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:28pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KookieKris

Thanks foxy! Out of curiosity ~ What doctored mix do you use?

I buy any mix... last week I used Betty Crocker... I add 1 cup of sour cream, 1 box of cheesecake pudding, 4 eggs, 1/2 c oil and 1/2c water. Also 1 tsp of bourbon vanilla...
Bake at 325 till done icon_biggrin.gif

KookieKris Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:47pm
post #13 of 22

Foxy ~ do you use this for all cake flavors or just white? What is bourbon vanilla??
It sounds like a moist, fluffier cake!

GI and luvsfreebies72 : too funny! A Cake CSI ~ Do I sense a new business venture idea?icon_rolleyes.gif
"They bake it together; We take it apart!!" icon_lol.gif

foxymomma521 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:55pm
post #14 of 22

Just make sure you use real vanilla, bourbon or tahitian, I just wanted to emphasize that I DO NOT use imitation vanilla, it leaves a funny taste in my mouth. And yes, I do that for every type of cake, I just change the flavor of the pudding. It makes a dense moist cake icon_biggrin.gif

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:57pm
post #15 of 22

Yay new show....CSI ~ Cake Shop Investiagator: Cake central style icon_smile.gif

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:57pm
post #16 of 22

that's EXACTLY what I had in mind icon_lol.gif

go buy a small cake and have people eat it and tell you what they taste. Shove it down their throats if ya gotta

I am now a convert to the WASC recipe that's on here (the one with oil). I have also used it with butter cake. I get awesome results everytime! What I do differently is:

cake flour instead of AP flour
plain, full-fat yogurt for the sour cream
buttermilk for the liquid
add 1 small box pudding mix
half the almond extract called for
add a couple tsps - 1 tbsp lemon juice

the buttermilk and the lemon give it a little tang, which I like. The almond is not forefront with a half amount and allows more vanilla flavor to come through. I've never been a fan of white cake or vanilla cake, but I LOOOOOVE this cake

KookieKris Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:48pm
post #17 of 22

luvs ~ I haven't seen the one with oil. How much?

Vylette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vylette Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:34pm
post #18 of 22

I was at a bridal shower yesterday and they had a walmart sheet cake...the cake was fluffy and somewhat moist, but it lacked depth in the flavor.
it was blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, non descript, flat and boooorrring.
Hardly anyone touched it past one bite.

Great flavor is a building process, great extracts, buttermilk, yogurt or sour cream and fine ingredients with real butter or good quality oils to carry that flavor and let it linger on the tongue. Without enough fat, you lack depth.

It sounds like the cake you had was a beautiful synergy of ingredients to produce a perfect confection!
A true joy when you can find it and even better when you can create it yourself =)

2sweetcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sweetcookies Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:00pm
post #19 of 22

I use WBH white vanilla, everyone LOVES it. It is addicting.

Chonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonya Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:09pm
post #20 of 22

what is WBH ? white vannila?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:15pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassidyg

Yay new show....CSI ~ Cake Shop Investiagator: Cake central style icon_smile.gif

LOL! I love it!! icon_lol.gif

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 16 May 2009 , 7:53am
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonya

what is WBH ? white vannila?

I think it stands for Whimsical Bake House. They are known on CC for their BC and they have a cake decorating book out (maybe more, not sure).

Their website is http://www.whimsicalbakehouse.com/

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%