Does Anyone Know How They Did This?

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 18 Aug 2005 , 9:34pm by aunt-judy

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 14

Can anyone tell me what this chocolate coating would be? Is it ganache, or maybe just frosting? I love how it looks and I wouldlike to try it on a cake if I can figure out what it is.
LL

13 replies
Cakemaster26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemaster26 Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 14

I'm not sure but my guess would be ganache.

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 14

Looks like ganache to me. It is chocolate and whipped cream cooked and cooled to pouring consistency. There should be a recipe on this site of it. They probable piped the border with completely cooled ganache.

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 14

I would say ganache too but what the lines in the sides of the cake?? Ganache is usally smoother and it almost has a thickness to it? Hmm...pretty cake though!

Niki027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki027 Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 14

I think the lines are from them not putting it on evenly.

Misdawn Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 14

I thought it was probably ganache, but I've never made a cake with ganache so I wasn't sure. Well, my next question is...how do you stack the layers without mucking up the surface? Does it harden slightly when cool or something? How does that work?

Also, do i frost the cake with BC as I would do any other cake before pouring the ganache over it?

Cakemaster26 Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 14

Misdawn

When coating with ganache just keep it at a smooth consistency but be carefully about cooking it too much. then place cake on a rack with a pan underneath it with parchment paper to catch the overflow and pour chocolate over the cake quickly and while going in a circle from center out wards. make sure you pour enough over top. and it should go over the sides to coat. It should harden up okay. just be carefully when placing.

Also don't use anything to smooth it will loose it shine and give you lines.

hope you can understand what I wrote.

good luck. icon_biggrin.gif

Misdawn Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 14

Kriss,
Not to be a pest, but that adds another question. I understand your post, but I am thinking about doing a twolayer stacked chocolate cake with ganache over it and I would like to surround the sides of the layers with Pirrhouette cookies (the tall skinny, straw-like cookies). So how would I get the Pirrhouettes to stick to the ganache?

Cakemaster26 Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 14

You can use the extra ganache as glue. just place ganache into the fridge to harden a little and use when thick to glue cookies to cake. or use chocolate candy melts to glue to cake.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 8:55pm
post #10 of 14

That is a very pretty cake! By the drips on the sides...it looks like it was poured on. I have not tried ganache yet...but love the way it looks! icon_smile.gif
traci

Cakemaster26 Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 9:07pm
post #11 of 14

Traci Yes it would be poured on the top than let drap over the edges to cover the sides. To get it smooth it nees to be warm enough to pour but not to much. it cannot be smoothed with anything or it will show the marks as shown above in the picture. I have done it a couple of times. It just takes practice. good luck when you try it. you will definetly love the end results.

Kristy

eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 9:10pm
post #12 of 14

icon_smile.gif It is poured, then let it set..

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 9:32pm
post #13 of 14

I must be a little slower than everyone else but do you assemble the cake and then pout it over the cake?

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 9:34pm
post #14 of 14

you need to coat each cake individually, then stack.

i'm thinking that the lines, like the drips down the side, are from build-up and settling of the ganache.

if you're shy to try pouring the ganache (and several layers of it too), you can let the ganache cool and ice the cake with it without whipping it first (though it is VERY firm and thick) -- with a clean, warm palette knife i've gotten the ganache quite smooth in the past. it reminds me of a little ganache cake i did at a small cafe-bakery i used to work at...the cake was for a lady named isabelle, and she was turning 100! icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%