Dh Asked Me The "scratch" Baker To Make A Cake Fro

Decorating By Deb_ Updated 30 Mar 2009 , 11:50am by Deb_

Deb_ Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 24

icon_eek.gif I know I was just as shocked as you guys! icon_lol.gif

While at Wal Mart this week we were in the grocery aisle and he looks over longingly at the Duncan Hines mixes and out of his mouth comes this......"Man, I really miss the cupcakes my Mom used to make out of this stuff"

WHAT??? icon_eek.gificon_mad.gif "Yes", he says "Don't get me wrong I LOVE your stuff, but my Mom's cupcakes were the best and they were just yellow Duncan Hines mix with Duncan Hines chocolate frosting". "Would you just humor me and make some this weekend for me?"

As I'm staring at him with what I'm sure is the most evil look I've ever given him in our 26 yrs of marriage, I say "Oh, I'd be more then happy to make it and prove to you once and for all that you won't like the mix stuff".

So today, I baked him his "Mom's beloved cupcakes".
and............................................................................................
.................................................................................................
..................................................................................................
..................................................................................................

HE DIDN'T LIKE THEM!!!

His first reaction after he bit into it was "Did you purposely sabotage these? icon_rolleyes.gif

I swear to all of you on my parent's souls that I did not sabotage the cupcakes.

MY HUSBAND IS OFFICIALLY A CAKE SNOB!!! He has always thought it ridiculous that I "go to all the trouble" of baking everything from scratch. Well, after all these years he now APPRECIATES that I do.

He made my weekend! Now can somebody please tell me what to do with 18 leftover DH yellow cupcakes with DH chocolate frosting?

Sorry this is long, I just had to share with my cake buddies. icon_biggrin.gif

23 replies
erc11 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 24

Haha!! THat is funny! I think that for a lot of people, the taste they "remember" is not really what they would taste now.

I also NEVER bake from a mix so I would have the same reaction. My step father insists on a DH mix for his birthday every year. My poor, amazingly talented mother, makes him one. I want to kick him.

Deb_ Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 24

Oh sooo true! I remember as a kid going to the amusement park or carnival and I just LOVED the smell of grease, cotton candy, popcorn etc., the very smell turns my stomach now. icon_rolleyes.gif

His problem with the cupcakes was the texture first, he said that mine melt in his mouth these didn't. The taste was "off" too, his exact word.

Your Mom is a great wife for fulfilling her DH's wishes!

indydebi Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 24

That is a GREAT story! icon_lol.gif

Hubby and I were talking about foods as kids .... I remember just thinking the banquest tv dinners were a treat back then .... ug! How can they actually sell those things as food now? Hubby remembers his mom (and mine, too) making fried Spam for dinner. We loved it! Bought and made some as adults .... it went right into the trash can!

(As a matter of fact, hubby and oldest daughter have a standing joke. Every birthday and christmas they give each other the same can of spam. That can has been floating back and forth for YEARS between them!)

Perhaps some of our food memories have to do with no taste-experience as kids. All we know is what we've had up to that point. At the age of 8, I thought tv dinners were great foods. At the age of 28, I'd experienced "good" foods and had something to compare it with.

Deb_ Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 24

Oh my God we had fried Spam too as kids, I didn't know they still sold that...........I'll take your word for it and not try that again. icon_lol.gif

My Mom's family for whatever reason always bought those 5lb canned hams and we thought they were the best, until I had a "real" ham off the bone at my MIL's house. I couldn't believe I'd been eating that rubber ham from a can all those years.............and liked it.

I wonder if they still sell those things. I'd like to see the pig that "shape" ham came from icon_lol.gif

We also loved the T.V. dinners especially the apple dessert......yum!

mbelgard Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

That is a GREAT story! icon_lol.gif

Hubby and I were talking about foods as kids .... I remember just thinking the banquest tv dinners were a treat back then .... ug! How can they actually sell those things as food now? .

Our treats were MREs that my dad brought home.

indydebi Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 24

dkelly, those canned hams were considered "high eatin'!" to us! Like you, I was in my 20's before I had a real ham on the bone. I think it was the start of being a caterer ..... I made the ham every year for hubby's christmas pitch in at the factory he worked at. The guys pitched in the money for it and I baked it for them. I could not BELIEVE the difference!

Then we'd go to my parents' for the holidays and she'd have the canned ham. We actually describe it as "negative taste" ... somehow, the taste of ham is REMOVED from this meat! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Deb_ Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 24

So funny indy.......you're right the "canned" ham was reserved for the "special" company. icon_lol.gif

I remember one of my Aunts didn't wash the pink gooey stuff off before heating it and when my Mom questioned her she said "that's the glaze they add for flavor, you're supposed to eat it" icon_surprised.gif It's amazing we're all still alive.

mbelgard what are MREs? Is it some kind of military food?

dg10148 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:01pm
post #9 of 24

Spam, Kraft Macaroni & Cheese,Campbells Pork & Beans. Jiffy Corn Bread I thought was one of my moms best meals. There were 8 of us kids so with 10 people to cook for you stretch every dollar.
I cant remember how old I was but I was at a friends house and her mom asked us to peel potatoes she was shocked to find out that I have never peeled or ever eaten real potatoes.Mashed out of a box hash browns frozen.

Deb_ Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:05pm
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg10148

Spam, Kraft Macaroni & Cheese,Campbells Pork & Beans. Jiffy Corn Bread I thought was one of my moms best meals. There were 8 of us kids so with 10 people to cook for you stretch every dollar.
I cant remember how old I was but I was at a friends house and her mom asked us to peel potatoes she was shocked to find out that I have never peeled or ever eaten real potatoes.Mashed out of a box hash browns frozen.

Hey, I'm the youngest of 8 kids..........where were you in the line-up?

Wasn't it incredible how our parents managed to keep all of us fed? I remember going to the "Piggily Wiggily" grocery store and coming out with my parents each pushing a shopping cart FILLED with food all for about $100. Of course in the 60's, that was quite a lot of money especially because my Mom didn't have a job (well, besides raising us kids). She did make all of our snacks though and had a garden in the summer for veggies.

I don't ever remember being hungry icon_smile.gif

dg10148 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:17pm
post #11 of 24

My brothers birthday is Christmas Day we try and make it special for him there are 7 girls and he is the only boy so we all go to my moms for Christmas well one Christmas we got snowed in and could not go to our moms for dinner so the only store open was CVS so I bought a caned ham I tried to doctor it up. It is still is his worst birthday dinner ever

dg10148 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:32pm
post #12 of 24

I am number 2 my name is Denise but I will answer to DEBRA, DENISE, DAVID , LORETTA, ARMATTIE , DAWN , SHELLY , LISA because if my mom called you you better come running even if she wasn't calling your name you knew witch one was guilty.

indydebi Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:37pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:

I am number 2 my name is Denise but I will answer to DEBRA, DENISE, DAVID , LORETTA, ARMATTIE , DAWN , SHELLY , LISA because if my mom called you you better come running even if she wasn't calling your name you knew witch one was guilty.

I was the oldest of 6 .... 4 girls, a boy, and a girl. Since our dad thought he'd never have a boy, we all had nicknames. He would never yell for "Debi, Jean, Sandy, Vicky!" ...... he called out "Clyde, Charlie, Pete and Sam!"

When our brother was born, we girls tried to label him "GLoria" but it just didnt' stick! But when baby sis was born, somehow she got labeled George. Something wrong with that system! icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:42pm
post #14 of 24

Too funny about the name calling thing. I'm the youngest (the BABY) I wonder if I'll still be "the BABY" when I'm 75! icon_razz.gif

There are 5 girls and 3 boys and I was always referred to as Pam, Rose, Sue, Donna and then finally Debbie. Like you said when my Mom said ANY of those names we all came running, we didn't want her to have to get to our REAL name! icon_lol.gif

I never remember getting slapped much, just the fear of it was enough to make us behave. You know that look Mothers gave back then? Wow, that could herd us up in a hurry, and if her tongue went between her teeth, we KNEW we were in trouble then! icon_lol.gif

Nothing like a big family though is there? icon_wink.gif

mbelgard Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 6:33pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

mbelgard what are MREs? Is it some kind of military food?

Meals Ready to Eat.

They're what the military eats out in the feild or in battle. It's food that only needs heated or a little water for things like the cocoa.

It replaced the canned rations with easier to open bags.

You get a package for each meal with an entree, snacks, drink mixes, etc. They have quite a bit because they are designed to provide lots of calories both to ensure that if they can only eat once a day they're getting enough and because an army on the move can need the extra food.

They aren't what you could label a high quality food.

paulstonia Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:57am
post #16 of 24

dkelly, I'm sure you will still be the baby. My mom tells a story about going home for a funeral she went to take a nap and she wakes up to aunts and uncles looking down at her and saying "aw, there's little Helen " She was the baby but by then she had 6 babies of her own. And I just have to say, we never ate the canned ham in my family, probably couldn't afford it icon_smile.gif but my MIL makes it all the time uhg. When I make a real ham I use the bone and extra meat to make beans, yum. A few months back my MIL decides to put left over canned ham in her beans. Just a warning, DON'T DO THIS, it turns into a sponge :0

Deb_ Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:05am
post #17 of 24

paulstonia, that's so funny about your Mom, I think you're right once the baby always the baby icon_rolleyes.gif I guess it could be worse.

Nothing like ham on the bone and then using the bone and leftovers for some really thick pea soup. yum icon_biggrin.gif I'll have to try it in beans, I never thought of that.......thanks!

tinygoose Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:53am
post #18 of 24
Quote:

MY HUSBAND IS OFFICIALLY A CAKE SNOB!!! He has always thought it ridiculous that I "go to all the trouble" of baking everything from scratch. Well, after all these years he now APPRECIATES that I do.

He made my weekend! Now can somebody please tell me what to do with 18 leftover DH yellow cupcakes with DH chocolate frosting?

Thanks for the memories ladies. Oh...I totally remember the "ham in the can" That was holiday food too...yikes. Man, it took almost 30 years before I knew that there was any other type of ham!

My hubby likes anything out of a can or a box! His favorite meal is cooked spagetti noodles, can of Dennisons chili (has to be Dennisons!), & can of mexicorn. Mix it together, throw some Velvetta cheese on it and pop it in the oven for 30 mins. icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif I have to admit, my kids love the stuff....yuck. They have it when I go to my monthly ladies poker night. Cause it make's me gag. They call it "Daddy's casserole."

So anyway... I make my choc. almond scratch cake the other night. Don't say anything to DH, cause he doesn't like the almond part of that cake. No biggie, I made it because I was dying for real cake.
Anyway, a colleague brought my DH a "store bought" angel food cake the other day at his work and he wouldn't stop complaining about it! Said it was the most VILE cake he'd ever put in his mouth!! Angel food is his fav. He eats anything processed/packaged and loves it!! I was shocked. Soo...later that night he leans over to me on the couch and whispers in my ear. "So babe....got any of your choc. cake left? Can I have some?"

Hmmm.....no....it couldn't be.....could it?...emerging before my very eyes.....a cake snob in the making?

Congrats dkelly!! Yay! That gives me hope!! My DH may be finally on his way to cake snobbery.

Deb_ Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:11am
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

Soo...later that night he leans over to me on the couch and whispers in my ear. "So babe....got any of your choc. cake left? Can I have some?"

Hmmm.....no....it couldn't be.....could it?...emerging before my very eyes.....a cake snob in the making?

Congrats dkelly!! Yay! That gives me hope!! My DH may be finally on his way to cake snobbery.

Yeah it's been 26 yrs of marriage but I think I've FINALLY got him trained. icon_lol.gif "Daddy's casserole" sounds very interesting indeed! I can see why you save that for ladies night out. LOL!

I can't believe how many of you guys ate canned ham too.......I really thought it was just my Mom's family that made them. It's nice to know I wasn't alone. icon_biggrin.gif

GenGen Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:15am
post #20 of 24

well dont forget that according to scientists etc from what i've read over the years, approximately every 7 years our taste buds change icon_smile.gif stuff i used to like in my 20's i don't have that passion for now.. eh its ok but. doesn't ring my bell lol.

never liked raw tomatoes all my life till recently i found a few with a certain flavor i actually like.. still don care for those small grape size tomatoes though (yuck) sorry..

gerripje Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:30am
post #21 of 24
Quote:

Wasn't it incredible how our parents managed to keep all of us fed? I remember going to the "Piggily Wiggily" grocery store and coming out with my parents each pushing a shopping cart FILLED with food all for about $100. Of course in the 60's, that was quite a lot of money especially because my Mom didn't have a job (well, besides raising us kids). She did make all of our snacks though and had a garden in the summer for veggies.
I don't ever remember being hungry icon_smile.gif

I'm the youngest of six and I can so remember filling up two carts and spending.... $200!!! Now, that's accomplished with what... 1/4 of one cart full.

I was also one of those kids that loved taking a little hunk of the raw hamburger that my mom mixed up with season salt and stuff, it was sooo good!!! icon_rolleyes.gif Then I'd hop in the back dash of the old pontiac and off to town we went!! My kids wonder why I'm still alive after all those daring things we did!! thumbs_up.gif

cblupe Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:52am
post #22 of 24

BUT, nobody mentioned what we were watching on TV while eating those yummy TV dinners, Ed Sullivan, Sixty Minutes, Lassie, Bonanza, and the FBI and this is just Sunday night!

Also, thanks for all of those memories growing up, I too have had everything mentioned so far (except for "Daddy's Caserole"). One thing I had growing up and still eat though is tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Yummo!

And we kids weren't allowed to drink Coke - we drank Kool-Aid by the gallons. My mom would let us have a sip of her Coke (wow, what a treat that was).

AND - my mom had 'the look'; I never could develop 'the look' with my kids.

dg10148 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:07am
post #23 of 24

Tomato soup mixed with milk not water and grilled cheese .
My mom used to say she could tell if we lied because our eyes would change colors so I would stand there and not look her in the eye never could figure out how she new I lied. One day I was walking past the bathroom and my brother was inside staring at the bathroom mirror I asked him what he was doing he said he was lying to himself to see if his eyes changed colors. We all used it on our kids and now I hear my DD saying it to her kids . The power of a mothers word and the look.

Deb_ Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:50am
post #24 of 24
Quote:

Tomato soup mixed with milk not water and grilled cheese .
My mom used to say she could tell if we lied because our eyes would change colors so I would stand there and not look her in the eye never could figure out how she new I lied. One day I was walking past the bathroom and my brother was inside staring at the bathroom mirror I asked him what he was doing he said he was lying to himself to see if his eyes changed colors. We all used it on our kids and now I hear my DD saying it to her kids . The power of a mothers word and the look.

LOL! Denise, that is so funny! I can just picture that. icon_lol.gif

I don't think I ever developed the look either........I think we gals were just a different breed of kids.

Let's not forget The Lawrence Welk Show........I use to love pretending that I was one of the dancers with their fancy gowns. Of course, my gown was just my Mother's long bathrobe. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%