Okay Nj It's Our Turn To Change The Law Re: Home Bakeries!!

Decorating By Sugar_Plum_Fairy Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 1:25pm by SSGirly

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:10am
post #61 of 125

Well I'm not too good with facebook and I have no idea how to make people aware of the group after I created it. I don't know if this link will work but if we can get our friends, including non cake friends to join, then we can bring more awareness to the bill. It's like a pyramid effect because say for example one person joins and invites all their friends, then each of their friends does the same thing, etc etc. I just don't know how to get the group out there, I have to play around with it some more to figure it out.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=109736749672

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 10 May 2009 , 4:18am
post #62 of 125

I'm in on the Facebook group and the petition, gals. Will check back on the older posts when I get a chance. Thanks for all the hard work done so far!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 10 May 2009 , 12:58pm
post #63 of 125

Thanks, Zamode.

As for Facebook, I believe if you go on the site and do a site search for NJ Cottage Food Law (or even NJ Bakers Law, by itself), you can find us.

Also, just so everyone knows: if you Google NJ Home Bakers Law (even if you spell out NJ), you'll get a hit for the petition!!

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 10 May 2009 , 8:24pm
post #64 of 125

Just signed the petition--it's up to 437.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:19pm
post #65 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by laneysmom

Just signed the petition--it's up to 437.

Thanks so much, Diane! Please, please, please pass the link to the petition on to as many other NJ residents as possible. I really want to get this petition up to 1,000 signatures!!

BTW, I LOVE your signature tag! LOL always cracks me up

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:27pm
post #66 of 125

Consider it done! I was pleasantly surprised to see a number of NJ counties represented. Word is getting out!

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:01am
post #67 of 125

I would love to do something like this here in GA. Not sure how to get started though.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:15am
post #68 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgypsie

I would love to do something like this here in GA. Not sure how to get started though.

I started this by going back and reading through ALL of the two threads started by Kelleym of Texas. She has a lot of great information on how she started her battle in Texas and Stephanie and I have been using her as our model. (Thanks again, Kelley!)

Here's the first thread: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=46933&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

This is the second thread: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-622123-texas.html

Hope that helps.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:12am
post #69 of 125

Thank You.

I read your letter and thought it was great.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:15am
post #70 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgypsie

Thank You.

I read your letter and thought it was great.

You're welcome and thank you. Good luck with your endeavor. I've got a feeling that before the next two years go by we'll be seeing an increase in the number of states that allow for the legalization of home bakery businesses. icon_biggrin.gif

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:34am
post #71 of 125

I signed the petition.....was #447!

deb

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:34pm
post #72 of 125

Okay, people, if you've signed the petition, thank you! If you haven't, please hurry and do so and don't forget, please let everyone possible know about this.

I spent many hours yesterday e-mailing whatever NJ e-mail addy I could find (and I'm still not finished). I e-mailed NJCPL (the electric company), NJ American Water, and then found a web site that gives you websites of party places for kids all over The Garden State and I'm about 1/3 finished with that (I'll continue to work on it today).

Please! Now is not the time to be shy. Speak up and let the cashier at the A&P, Kings Supermarket, Wawa's, etc. now. Tell the gas station attendent. I did. I gave a (printable business card to use with ink jet printers) card to the cashier at Salad Creations. Every little bit helps.

ALSO, please continue to contact our legislative reps, especially if you haven't yet! It's still very important that they know first hand how much interest there is out there in the state for a bill like this! Once again, you can find out who your district reps are and even e-mail them and all the reps at: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/

This battle is FAR from over! Thanks!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:33pm
post #73 of 125

Well I found out today that "Corporate" is a real big pain in the butt!

I went to Michael's, Costco and Bed, Bath & Beyond to hang up the tear off flyers I made to alert the public about our petition and as it turns out, Costco (Bridgewater) took it and the lady said she'd find out if they could hang it up, but it might only be allowed in the empoyee's break room. Then I went to Michael's and BBB and they both said they couldn't hang it on the premises as Corporate wouldn't allow it and BBB's mgr. went on to explain that they can't take sides on such issues!

Who's taking sides? Just display it and let people make their own decisions!

Oh well..... saved me a trip to Fanwood which is where I was headed after Bridgewater. I was going to try to hang some up there, but I knew I'd meet with the same issues at AC Moore's and a few other places, so why bother?

Well now I'm off to e-mail more companies. They can't stop me from doing that!! lol I think next time I try the 'flyer route' I'll just make up flyers to put on people's windshields, preferably employees of Coporate!!

CourtneysSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysSweets Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:21am
post #74 of 125

I kept the site up on my computer at work. I asked everyone I know and who I didn't know sign icon_smile.gif Everyone was very supportive! Hope this goes through!! How much on average do you think it will cost us with inspection and fees and what ever else is needed? Still new at this icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:31am
post #75 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtnChris

I kept the site up on my computer at work. I asked everyone I know and who I didn't know sign icon_smile.gif Everyone was very supportive! Hope this goes through!! How much on average do you think it will cost us with inspection and fees and what ever else is needed? Still new at this icon_smile.gif

Thanks so much!

As for the cost, I honestly don't have a clue, but whatever it is will be enormously less than starting a business by renting or leasing a commercial kitchen space or converting your present or spare kitchen to conform with Chapter 24!! That's for sure.

MissChris117 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissChris117 Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:46am
post #76 of 125

AT LAST! Thank you for getting this started. I've been so frustrated for exactly the same reasons you guys have been, and never knew what to do about it. You bet I'll do whatever I can to help.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:56am
post #77 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChris117

AT LAST! Thank you for getting this started. I've been so frustrated for exactly the same reasons you guys have been, and never knew what to do about it. You bet I'll do whatever I can to help.

Thanks, MissChris! Don't forget to sign the petition and write/e-mail your legislators. Also, let everyone you know, that lives in NJ, sign the petition, too!!

http://www.petitiononline.com/NJHBL/petition.html

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:31pm
post #78 of 125

Okay, give yourselves a big round of applause - we're past 650 signatures on our petition! party.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Now we're so close to our 1,000 mark, we really have to keep pushing! I've noticed that we're only getting abround 5-10 signatures per day on average; we need to step this up! Please, if you haven't already, start letting people know about this. They have to sign it and also spread the word.

I'd really like to get this petition to Senator Karrow's and Asm. Russo's offices. I'm also planning on sending it to a bunch of other legislators, probably all of them, but I want to have a miniumum of 1,000.

C'mon, you've all been doing great, but we have to step up our efforts. The last time I spoke to Cathy at Asm. Russo's office a couple of days ago, she told me that a lobbyist/Health Inspector had called them snooping around for information. This means that the opposition knows about us and is starting to get ready for the fight. I truly believe we're ahead of them and want to stay that way. Let's get this petition going so we can get it to our legislators.

Also, please, if you haven't made contact withour legislators, now is the time to do so. E-mail, write and call. Let them know how much support there is for a bill/law to allow legalized home bakeries in our state!

freakgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freakgirl Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:44am
post #79 of 125

Hey, everyone. I sent the suggested email at the beginning of this thread to my senator here in Jersey and received a response!

(PDF attached)

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:09pm
post #80 of 125

That's great! I sent out about 20 letters and didn't get a single reply - I hope they actually made it onto the right persons desk.

All we can do is keep pushing thumbs_up.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:24pm
post #81 of 125

Okay, freakgirl, that's either going to help us a lot or hurt us. lol I was sort of hoping to try to avoid being noticed by anyone of the Departments of Health, so that they have less time to try to oppose us, but I know from one of my recent phone conversations with Asm. Russo's office that a lobbyist AGAINST us has already contacted them for information. So right now I know "our presence" is already known to at least some of the Health Dept's out there in NJ.

The good thing is it seems that Senator Smith thinks this is a good idea!

Also, I've been meaning to update everyone here on CC for the last few days, but had a busy weekend and then some computer connectivity issues on and off; so finally, here it is:

Last week I contacted Asm. Russo's office again. Ms. Kelly (from his office) had left me a message saying that they weren't doing anything further since I had informed them that other legislators were working on this. (This was not what I wanted to hear). She said to contact her to let her know if this was indeed the case or if she was mistaken. I immediately sent her an e-mail letting her know everything that I do on my side and also included one of my letters to the Senator in my own district (which laid out many details that I hadn't previously touched upon when speaking with her). I received an e-mail back from her saying that they would try to get in touch with the other legislators that seem interested in this and attempt to "get everyone on the same page" (she actually quoted me there).

I will bring this to letter from Senator Smith to her attention as well.

As for Senator Karrow, who I last heard had wanted to take the lead on this, I am awaiting to hear the results of the votes. Hopefully she is still in office and will also continue to be "on our side".

Thanks everyone, and don't give up. Out of the three legislators in my own district, I only heard back from one and it wasn't positive. But we are hearing back from others and they do seem interested. What we really have to push is the idea that this will increase revenue to the State and not increase expenditures or the risk of food borne illnesses; the two major concerns of our 'opponents'.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:35pm
post #82 of 125

Okay, here's the latest:

Firstly, we're up to 714 signatures on the petition. This is good, but not great. We need more, especially now!!

Next: Stephanie e-mailed Senator Karrow's office and she replied that they're awaiting a call from Asm. Russo's office, but no matter what (even though Sen. Karrow lost in the primaries, unfortunately), she'll be introducing a bill on June 11th in Senate!!

I also have a couple of calls in to find out exactly who is supporting this, out of our legislators. In the meantime, I'm also e-mailing each member of the legislator, that I haven't as yet heard from, to once again ask them to support us.

Please, please, please, if you haven't yet, now is the time to make the calls and write the letters, faxes and e-mails. Get everyone you know that resides in NJ to sign this petition. We need to show support for this and there's strength in numbers! Let's show everyone how much we REALLY want this!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:15pm
post #83 of 125

Okay, here's an update. (I posted something, but just got some new information, so I'm editing my post). Here is the original and I will follow it up with some new information.

We do have a number!!! S2908

Remember this is your new favorite number!........for now. lol

Senator Marcia Karrow introduced the bill yesterday in Senate. I don't have many details yet. Stephanie was in contact with her office and we should be able to see it online on Tuesday of next week to see the bill and it's status. The website is: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/Default.asp

From what I've heard and Stephanie's heard, also, the bill is EXTREMELY basic and open ended. I know it will change before it's passed (thinking positively here), at least a few times. I can practically guarantee that.

So thanks for all your hard work thus far, but now the real work begins. We want every Senator in New Jersey to support S2908!!

Here is the newer information. The sessions going on now are voting sessions. Apparently, new bills introduced now will be re-introduced again and the numbers will probably change. This will take place either in the fall or in Jan. (I have to check on that again, but right now am in a rush - my daughter has a dance recital tonight and I'm rushing to try to get this typed so I don't forget it! lol).

Once it is introduced and assigned to a committee we will then focus our efforts on contacting the committee chair and members by phone, e-mail, letters and faxes and show them our support and request that the bill be posted in committee and on the board list (I have to look into this in more detail as well). But this is a broad overview. This bill will probably take about a year to pass, so be prepared for our long uphill fight. Also, "my source" told me that a lobbyist AGAINST this bill already contacted Asm. Russo's office, but since the bill wasn't introduced as yet, the caller was given no info (not that there's much to give). Apparently a big hurdle will be that the Depts of Health and Senior Services don't want/have the manpower or desire to inspect home kitchens. So our arguement will be one initial inspection and thereafter, only when needed.

Hope this makes some degree of sense. I (and/or Stephanie) will keep you apprised of things as we learn them.

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:20am
post #84 of 125

Yay! I am going to refile my paprwork - I haven't gotten a response yet from these guys.... ugh

nissi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nissi01 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:48pm
post #85 of 125

Hi everybody, I havent been on here too much lately, but I want to say that you guys ROCK!!!!! I sent some letters to my local assembly men, but I have not gotten a response. I also (and it hurts to say this, have been slacking. My husband is away with his mother and Ive been dealing with the Court apperances regarding his brothers murder case.) I DO PROMISE that once he comes back ( he comes back home on Mon from South America. Im jumping for joy) I will once again write letters to my local people again, and stay on top of it. I will also have all of my family and members and friends sign the online petition. Im also going to see if I can send a message to my friends that still live in Jersey on Facebook to sign the petition.

Once again, you guys ROCK, and when I pray at night Ill make sure to ask the BIG guy to help us with bill S2908.

Take Care
Denise

nissi01 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:49pm
post #86 of 125

Hi guys, I just wanted to let you know that I couldnt access the petition online. I get the explorer window that says Interne Explorer cannot display the webpage. I even tried to google petition online and nothing.
Just thought I should give you a heads up.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:50am
post #87 of 125

Thanks for your support! We need as much as we can get!

I tried the petition and you're correct about the connection, Denise. I'm hoping that they're just upgrading or servicing the site. To date this has only happened once before that I know of, so I'll try again in a few to several hours. Please do the same and as soon as you can sign.

Here's hoping your hubby gets home as soon as possible (that the days go fast), and that you and your family find some closure, justice and peace at the end of the trial.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:13pm
post #88 of 125

Okay, here's the latest regarding THE PETITION.

I contacted the owner of the site and he apologized and said that they are aware of the problem (since Friday morning).

Here's a link he sent to me and I wanted to share it with you. Hopefully this won't cost us too many signatures and the petition site will be accesible again soon: http://www.designcommunity.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28380

nissi01 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:40pm
post #89 of 125

Hi everybody, I just wanted to update you guys. I was able to sign the petition today. It looks like the website is up and running again. I was signature 742.

Have a great day!

Denise

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:11pm
post #90 of 125

Cool, Denise. I know it was up a couple of days ago and, not wanting to take any chances, I ordered the printout. Hopefully we'll reach our goal of 1,000 signatures and I'll have it re-printed. I just didn't want to take a chance on loosing what we had so far, but by doing that I'm sure it will stay accessible now! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%