Buttercream Without A Kitchen Aid :(

Decorating By Skyebaby Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 2:48pm by learnincakes

Skyebaby Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 12

I have a regular ole mixer and don't see a KA in my near future with the way this economy is so I'm wondering if there are ways I can circumvent my disadvantage.

I only have one cake under my belt and hope to do #2 tomorrow.....

11 replies
JanH Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 12

Hi and Welcome to CC, Skyebaby. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Everything you need to know to bake, assemble and decorate tiered/stacked/layer cakes:
(Also includes popular CC recipes for: crusting American b/c's, doctored cake mix (WASC and variations and fondant. And so much more!)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

For small recipes of b/c, a good hand mixer will work - so you're ahead of the game with ANY brand of stand mixer.

Look forward to seeing pics of your cakes. thumbs_up.gif

mirda6275 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 12

I don't have a KA or other good mixer either. My MIL does let me borrow hers (i love her!), but when I can't get hers, it takes forever, but I make 1/2 batches of BC at a time.

Good Luck!

solascakes Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 12

Welcome to CC,since you already have a mixer, that's ok,it will work afterall i used to mix both cakes and buttercream by hand,before i was able to get even a hand mixer (don't mind me i'm just remebering my humble begining).Good luck.

Wesha Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyebaby

I have a regular ole mixer and don't see a KA in my near future with the way this economy is so I'm wondering if there are ways I can circumvent my disadvantage.

I only have one cake under my belt and hope to do #2 tomorrow.....

It is okay. I do not have a KA and my buttercream comes out just fine. I have a SunBeam Mix Master Heritage stand mixer. My fiance bought it because he could not afford the KA. It works just fine. Use what you have and save save save until you can purchase one.

Benisha

Lady_Phoenix Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 12

I had a hand mixer for years. I finally killed it, and treated myself to my KA. Trust me a hand mixer will work just fine for anything except fondant.. oh and my merry fields apple cake. THAT is what killed the hand mixer! icon_biggrin.gif

meenu Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:51pm
post #7 of 12

I don't have a KA.I use my hand mixer for buttercream and it works fine.

SweetSweetCreations Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 12

I just got my KA for Christmas this year WHOO HOO!!!!! But before that I used the cheap handmixers yes I said mixers I burned up several before I bought the $40 hand mixer which is great and I still use on ocassion.

luvsfreebies72 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:05pm
post #9 of 12

I just finally got another KA recently (lost custody of the 1st one icon_lol.gif ). Until then I used my hand mixer. I got a good one at Walmart - Hamilton Beach, 290 watts. Powers right through royal icing!

Peachshortcake Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:54am
post #10 of 12

I always used to use a hand mixer for BC, and actually for smaller batches prefer it. It gets to the sides and bottom of the bowl easier and I dont have to worry about ingredients not being completely combined.

Skyebaby Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:33pm
post #11 of 12

Oh wonderful! Good to know it's acceptable to use icon_smile.gif Thank you for the responses.....you've all eased my mind!

learnincakes Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:48pm
post #12 of 12

My Sunbeam just died on me,(royal icing did it in) luckily it was still under warranty and a new one is being sent to me soon. So, for now I will be using my hand mixer which is what I started with. Wish I had a KA, but just not in the budget.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%