First Purse Cake! Any Hints To Offer?

Decorating By kimmyboo925 Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 11:20pm by paulstonia

kimmyboo925 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 5

I am doing a standing up coach bag. I have yet to do a carved cake, or purse. I was wondering if anyone had any advice? How do you get the C's on there???? Is there a template? Thanks in advance.

4 replies
cakesthatrock Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 5

Hello, I know a great website that you may want to check out. You will find a Purse Cake Tutorial
and so much more. Great place to go for many tutorials.

You may also have luck using a zipper that you can buy from walmart or any fabric store, spraying oil onto the metal and then apply the fondant to get the inprint for the zipper. Hope I was of help to you! Good Luck!

paulstonia Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 5

I did a standing coach purse a few months back. It's in my pictures if you want to take a look. I just make a large sheet cake and cut and stacked it. I just cut it a little bit larger than the length and depth that I wanted the final cake to be, and then stacked til I got the height I wanted, make sure you have cake board every couple layers and dowel for support. Then carved. It didn't take too much carving. Oh yeah I was working with frozen cake, it's easier to me that way. Stick it back in the freezer before you crumb coat. Helps to keep it from crumbling when you crumb coat. I cut the fondant in pieces, did the sides first and then front and back. I didn't have a pattern, I just measured using a cloth tape how wide and tall the sides were and cut a piece of fondant to fit, then the front and back. I wanted a little overlap so it worked pretty good, you can always trim up a bit with scissors.I used a sewing tool to get the stitching marks, before I placed it on the cake. I used foam core for the cake board and then sharpened a couple wooden dowels and drove them through everything and into the board so it wouldn't tip over. Hope that helps.

fiddlesticks Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 5

paulstonia..Your purse cake turned out great!

paulstonia Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks, I had a lot of fun with that one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%