Sugar Shack Dvds

Decorating By momma28 Updated 21 May 2009 , 8:24pm by supakiki

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 52

Im not playing with a full deck today icon_smile.gif Cant find how to order sugar shack dvd's. Are you out there sugar shack icon_razz.gif

51 replies
ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 52
Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 52

Not SugarShack but her website it SugarEdProductions.com.

HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

momma28 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 52

Thank you for taking pity on my lack of brain cells LOL I was putting a space in her screen name. Duh. I am so excited to finally get her dvd Yippee.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 52

Brace yourself, momma28.....you're gonna love 'em!!

momma28 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 52

does her method work w a butter based buttercream instead of shortening?

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 52

I have never tried it with butter and before trying sugarshacks icing, I didn't like just a shortening based icing...but her method of making the icing makes it really delicious and a good consistency....

momma28 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 52

I cant stand shortening based frosting because it feels greasy in your mouth (higher melting point and all) so I am really hoping I can use butter based. I am always amazed at how wonderful the cakes that are made by people who use method are.

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 6:02pm
post #9 of 52

Sugarshack's icing recipe is workable for a long time. It is the only one I've been able to use with her methods of smoothing because the others dry out too fast and I don't have time to properly smooth with her techniques, which are the BEST.

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:39pm
post #10 of 52

I have not done it with the butter, I use the hi-ratio shortening and love the texture and creamy feel it has to the palette, way better IMO then just shortening.

I have read were others have used all butter in her recipe or half butter and half shortening...but I am not sure if they used her methods of smoothing. I also recall when her 1st. dvd came out, Perfecting the Art of Buttercream, seeing in a thread were some of her methods could even be used on cakes iced with IMBC and others.

If she sees your post she will reply (she is very nice about that) or you could IM her with your question. She is always great about helping you out if she can. She's a sweetie!, and you are going to love her dvd's.

God Bless,
Sharon

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:34pm
post #11 of 52

Thanks for the help guys! YOU ROCK!

Yes, the techniques I show in the DVD will work with ANY crusting BC you like!

Now on that note; like some of the gals said, if you happen to have a recipe that crusts way fast, or is not "forgiving", you may not get the results I do.

But the smoothing principles are the same whatever the recipe.

dreamdelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamdelights Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:53pm
post #12 of 52

I am getting to ready watch my DVD from Sugar Shack and hope to learn a lot.

momma28 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:37am
post #13 of 52

Just ordered my buttercream dvd from sugarshack and cant wait to get it. VERY EXCITED icon_smile.gif

grannys3angels Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:04am
post #14 of 52

Yey! Momma28, if you think you are excited now...wait till you watch the dvd, you'll want to get in the kitchen and make a cake just try out some of things you'll learn from Sharon. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

I also have her Boxes & Bows dvd and when I get the chance, I am going to try and make a box, lid and bow cake.

God Bless,
Sharon

sugarshack Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:11pm
post #15 of 52

Thanks Granny and all!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:21pm
post #16 of 52

Sharon, could you give me an estimate on shipping time? I've ordered from you before, but I dont remember how long it took! I want to order boxes and bows and a few tools, but I'd need them by Thursday! (Im in Houston, so not too too far from LA)

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:26pm
post #17 of 52

Mine arrived quite fast and I'm in Oklahoma City so yours maybe faster.

I use half shortening haf butter buttercream recipe and worked just fine,
I think it helps a lot if you use any crusting buttercream without as many air bubbles as possible.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:35pm
post #18 of 52

I'm just an occasional baker, so I always quickly review the BC dvd before I ice a cake, sort of a refesher course, and always catch something I forgot.

You'll love it.

thumbs_up.gif

sugarshack Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:36pm
post #19 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjulie

Sharon, could you give me an estimate on shipping time? I've ordered from you before, but I dont remember how long it took! I want to order boxes and bows and a few tools, but I'd need them by Thursday! (Im in Houston, so not too too far from LA)

email me

chefjulie Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:40pm
post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjulie

email me at [email protected]

DONE!! Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

grannys3angels Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 6:39pm
post #21 of 52

Your welcome Sharon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

I'm just an occasional baker, so I always quickly review the BC dvd before I ice a cake, sort of a refesher course, and always catch something I forgot.

You'll love it.

thumbs_up.gif

LOL, I do the same thing...and I'll do it with the Boxes & Bows dvd, I'm sure. Sharon has put so much into that dvd set, I know when ever I get to do a box cake, I'll have to have it going while doing the cake. The good thing is...she'll be doing it as I do it icon_biggrin.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 1:52am
post #22 of 52

I LOVE my BC DVD. I used the techniques on my husbands B-day cake with a significant improvement noted in smoothness, even though I felt clumsy at first! I have some questions....
Is it ok to put in the creamer liquid hot-right out of the micro, such as 170 degrees or will that mess up the shortening??
The full batch of icing was to much for my mixer, so 1/2 way through I had to split it-guess at the liquid, etc. Pretty much a big mess. The icing is stiffer than I would like. Do I heat the liquid again when I try and thin the icing a bit more?
I cover my cake boards with freezer paper usually & while smoothing the icing, I noticed the cake getting pushed this way & that. Would putting a dab of icing under the cake before I start prevent this, or do I need to cover with something else??
Thank you for sharing your knowledge and talent!!

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:09am
post #23 of 52

Boxs and Bows is so amazing. I just keep watching it, but can't get the courage to try it yet icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 1:25pm
post #24 of 52

I have been waiting for an insurance settlement for almost 2 years - well I finally got it! When we knew it was coming my husband and I were talking about what we were going to buy - my husband says, I really want a new truck, I said OK. He said "what do you want" and I said "All the Sugarshack DVDs"!!

I ordered them before the money was in my account!! I am SO GLAD that I finally got them! I learned so much and I was so excited to do my cake this weekend with everything that I learned.

I am going to go back and watch the buttercream video again and I am going to try her recipe too!!

I just wanted to tell Sharon - THANK YOU!!!! you are totally AMAZING!!

sugarshack Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:05pm
post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarspice

I LOVE my BC DVD. I used the techniques on my husbands B-day cake with a significant improvement noted in smoothness, even though I felt clumsy at first!

you will get faster!

I have some questions....
Is it ok to put in the creamer liquid hot-right out of the micro, such as 170 degrees or will that mess up the shortening??

i use it just a few minutes after it comes out the micro, so it is HOT

The full batch of icing was to much for my mixer, so 1/2 way through I had to split it-guess at the liquid, etc. Pretty much a big mess. The icing is stiffer than I would like. Do I heat the liquid again when I try and thin the icing a bit more?

what size mixer bowl to you have? there are many versions of the recipe here on the site to fit different bowls. and yes you can thin with more liquid.

I cover my cake boards with freezer paper usually & while smoothing the icing, I noticed the cake getting pushed this way & that. Would putting a dab of icing under the cake before I start prevent this, or do I need to cover with something else??

icing should do it!
Thank you for sharing your knowledge and talent!!

Thank you! and thank you evryone else for all the nice words. They mean more than you know.

SugaryGoodness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaryGoodness Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:45am
post #26 of 52

I honestly cannot say enough about each and every one of my SugarEd DVD's!!! I watch them from start to finish when I first get them. They make great reference, for when you forget or don't do a technique for a while. I learn something new and invaluable each time I watch them. Keep up the good work Sharon!! Thanks for everything you put into them.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:12am
post #27 of 52

Thank you for your response Sharon. I am not sure what size mixer I have-I thought 4 qt?? It is a 300watt ultra power. The head tilts up. A gift from an ex boyfriend (1 thing he did right icon_razz.gif )
Where do I find the scaled icing recipes for your icing?? I get so overwhelmed at all the unrelated results I get when I do a search!

chefjulie Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:19am
post #28 of 52

Okay, I have to add my praise for Boxes and Bows and ESPECIALLY Sharon's AMAZING customer service. I ordered my DVD last Sunday (via email) and received it on WEDNESDAY.
Sharon went out of her way for me several times that day and had my package in the mail on the same day I ordered it (after changing my order a couple of times!).
I also have to add that her prices on the "tools" are AWESOME! I looked in the cake store at a few of the items I ordered and they were WAAAAAAY more.

Tricia0312 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tricia0312 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:03pm
post #29 of 52

I just ordered three of the DVD's cannot wait to get them!!

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:18pm
post #30 of 52

LOVE all of Sharon's DVDs. They are so easy to follow. And yes, her response time in mailing her products is phenomenal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%