Didn't Know Where To Ask For Help With This

Decorating By tiersfromheaven Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 4:15am by xstitcher

tiersfromheaven Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 6

All of my clients are referrals and know my product. They also know my time is precious and email is preferred to get straight to the point. Many times meeting in person at the beginning of a project, I find many cake muggles have no clue what they want and what should have been 10 - 15 mins tops takes hours. OR they will shoot the breeze while I know I it's taking time form another project.

So recently someone contacted me through a websearch. Didn't know I could be found that way. Anyway how can I convey to her without being rude that I don't waste time meeting to discuss a design until I have been booked. A tasting costs money that will be deducted from final price if they go through me. This tactic also saves times cause it weeds out those undecideds just trying to pick my brain. Oh and the tasting sample is to go. icon_lol.gif

In her email it clearly states she is shopping around. I feel that she would like to go over designs and other such things that I don't do unless I have been booked. They could easily take all my ideas to someone else. Not way Jose.

All my clients have tasted and seen my work, so they don't bother to shop around, Their words.

I need to be diplomatic and I don't want to come across as if I am trying to hide something by not meeting with her. Any suggestions? Thanks!

5 replies
brincess_b Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 6

if she is shopping arounds, id guess all she wants to know is what are your prices, what does your price include (delivery etc), and what can you do.
do you have a web site or something so she can see your pics? you dont need to sit and start sketching something particular for her until she books you, but she needs to know you are capable of doing something like she has in mind, or inspiring her. so if you dont have a website, you might need to arrange something so she can see your work. if she cant see your work, the odds of her booking you will be less than nil.

anyway, keep it simple and sweet 'i can not offer a personalised design session until i have been booked. tastings cost $x, which will be deducted from the price of your cake.'
xx

tiersfromheaven Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your reply! I do have a website. And I am very thorough with prices per serving, flavors, icings and fillings, and pictures from sheets to carved 3-D.

I must be pmsing. And I don't want attitude to come through in an email but It's like duh to me. The only thing she can't get from my site is taste. But she can order it.

I'll try and come up with something and maybe port it to get feedback. thanks!

tiersfromheaven Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:02am
post #4 of 6

Can anyone help me critique this? It is rather wordy

[i]Congratulations on your impending nuptials! Thank you for expressing interest in us! Each order placed with us gets special attention to ensure a quality product. For this reason, we do not accept walk-ins or field calls in our kitchen, as they might interrupt our creative process. We give our clients priority and they appreciate it.

Our site contains pictures of cakes we have done for other occasions . This should help you judge if we are capable of executing the design you have in mind. Also listed on our site are starting prices per serving and serving size. This information can give you a general idea of how to adjust your budget for one of our cakes. Any remaining questions can be resolved through email, a very convenient and time efficient method of communication.

Most of our clients are referred to us and are familiar with our product. For those who havent experienced one of our cakes, we can arrange to deliver a sampling of our basic white and chocolate cake with basic icing/filling. The fee is $25 which would be deducted from your cake order when you book with us.

We schedule appointments with our design consultant after a date has been booked with a non-refundable deposit. At that point, we can discuss the particulars of your cake and give you our undivided attention. Many of our cakes have been designed through email alone. That speaks a lot about the confidence our clients have in us.

Please email us if you are ready to request a sample or if you have a particular set of questions that have not been answered on our site. Thank you again for your inquiry!

Is this OK?

foxymomma521 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:16am
post #5 of 6

The only thing I would eliminate is "that speaks a lot about the confidence our clients have in us". For some reason that seems rude to me...
Other than that I think it is well worded and leaves no room for questions about how you like to run things icon_smile.gif Nice Job!

xstitcher Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:15am
post #6 of 6

I agree with foxymomma and I personally would also thing about removing "We give our clients priority and they appreciate it". This sentence when I 1st read it seemed to me like you were telling her not to waste your time (not that that isn't the case icon_lol.gif ).
If you do want to keep that sentence in there I would do it in the 4th paragraph (although I think you already have something similar there already.

Overall, I think it's really well written and if I were going to order from you I'd feel reassured that you would give my order 100%.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%