Should I Invest In A Stand Or Two?

Business By Kitagrl Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 2:01am by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 13

I notice that wedding cakes look TEN times nicer if they are sitting up on a nice silver ornamental stand.

My question is, would it be wise for me to invest in a couple? (one square, one round or something?) They are expensive but I was wondering if I could upsale them to customers for a $50 rental fee and quickly pay that back...

Also do you pick up your own equipment or make the bride (or family) do it for a return deposit? I will often just eat the cost of a simply built 3D cake stand, and then I try to get disposable stuff like a styrofoam cupcake stand or even a lighted separator I'm doing in a couple months, I'm making that "keepable" too to avoid the trouble of returning equipment and deposits. But obviously an expensive stand would have to be returned.

Yeah so...I guess two questions....would it be worthwhile to invest in a stand? And what is the best way to get it back?

12 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 13

What kind of demand are you having for them? If people are asking, it might be worth the investment.

If you're just looking for "the look", then find a couple of places that rent them, and either rent them (passing the cost to the bride), or give the bride the name of the place and have HER rent them (which is what I believe leahs does).

I own a round and a square one. I tend to use them when I do the catering, too. I'm there the whole night and can bring it back with me.

On the rare occasion that I use them on a D&R (drop-n-run) cake, I will make arrangements with the facility for me to pick it up on Monday. One time, years and years ago, I trusted the family to return my equipment and it was a nightmare. It was before the internet and I didn't knwo about equip deposits 'n such, so this mom was in a "oh, I'll get around to it!" mentality, with no regard that I needed that equipment for a wedding the next weekend! icon_surprised.gif I finally had to meet her at her kids ballgame to get my stuff so I could do the next wedding! Not ever going thru that again, so *I* pick up my equipm.

Kitagrl Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 13

Ohhhh okay. From that, it sounds like I should hold off. I have not had requests (just thought I could up-sell stand rentals as I don't like the look of a cake sitting flat on the cake table but that's usually how it ends up as all mine are "drop and run"). And some of my deliveries are to where I would not want to just go pick it up Monday....30-45 minutes each way...nah...nor would the bride want to return it (thus I usually try to not require returned equipment if I can help it).

That helped. (Of course! Its Indy.... thumbs_up.gif ) Thanks.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 13

Check around for interesting framed art or mirrors. Place the cake on top of these and they look great, The frame can be painted off white, silver, gold etc. and the artwork can be changed for a piece of wallpaper or a mirror. Mine were purchased for under $10 in the clearance section. For example, one is 18 x 18 and 3" high and cost $9.

Kitagrl Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

Check around for interesting framed art or mirrors. The frame can be painted off white, silver, gold etc. and the artwork can be changed for a piece of wallpaper or a mirror. Mine were purchased for under $10 in the clearance section. For example, one is 18 x 18 and 3" high and cost $9.

The mirror would hold the weight of a cake?

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 13

It should if it is not a large heavy cake. Or place the cake board on the wooden part of the frame and it will definately hold the weight.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 13

Check Craigslist, keyword wedding, and see what's up for sale in your area.

I purchased a round silver plateau from a bride who listed in on Craigslist. She thought it would be cheaper to buy it, use it for her reception, then sell it to recoup some of her money. I was happy to take it off her hands for $40, instead of buying new for over $100.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 13

i used to rent stuff when i first opened...WHAT A PAIN IN DA BUTT!

they don't bring stuff back in a timely manner...they break and scratch stuff

keep stuff...

i've been calling this dude since october to bring back my acrylic stand that i kindly let him "borrow"

i'm over it...they can go rent from the pros, it's like giving your expensive stuff to children, they really don't care.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:17pm
post #9 of 13

All of our party rental places here (linens, tables, tents) rent cake plateaus for $25. I just tell people that whoever they are using to add it to their order. I do have a few pedestal stands, and a couple I have built, I'll rent them locally.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:24pm
post #10 of 13

I am not in the rental biz and I don't want to be. I use SPS, charge the bride for it and treat it as disposable. Nothing to return or for me to track down. Easy. I once took a bride to Small Claims Court for NEVER returning my equipment. I got my money back, obviously and had to replace the item. Now, no more rentals. Just not worth the hassle.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:27pm
post #11 of 13

i have a number of cake stands, all of wiltons, some from england and the silver plateaus. i do not charge a bride to use one under my cake, i do charge a $200 deposit, which has not been a problem, it is a selling point as i know bakeries around here add on $50 to use theirs. i do also rent them out, with the same deposit charge if someone wants to use it under a cake they got from somewhere else. have i recouped my money? not yet, but i didn;t buy them to recoup it, i do believe it is a good selling point though. i very rarely have a bride say no to the use of one.

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:00am
post #12 of 13

We rent them for $35 each and take a credit card deposit and will charge the entire replacement cost if the stand is not returned. (we've only had to do it once) I recently ordered these from ebay and while the quality is slightly below what you get when you pay $150 each, they are still decent (better than many I have found) and you can't beat the price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Square-Wedding-Cake-Stand-Set-NEW-silver-Platter-Plates_W0QQitemZ250397275026QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250397275026&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

You only get 3 really usable stands but at $174 shipped, it's a great deal!

Kitagrl Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:01am
post #13 of 13

That's a good deal, AZ..thanks! I'll save the store and if I decide to go for it, I will try them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%