Antonia74: Thank You!

Baking By Alagoas Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 1:11pm by ZlatkaT

Alagoas Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 16

I've always worked with RI until last week when ALL the batches I made "pulverized" when dry on my finished COOKIES icon_mad.gif

Just imagine having to bake, decorate, bag and complete COOKIES in 10 hours!! icon_cry.gif

So I thought dozens of CC members can't be wrong, and I gave Antonia74's icing a try...

Well, I LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!

I will never go back to RI... and I just wanted to express my gratitude to Antonia74 for sharing such a wonderful recipe icon_smile.gif

15 replies
TracyLH Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:19am
post #2 of 16

Ditto on that! She really changed my cookie decorating! Before her recipe, I had to shake my cookies, tap 'em, plead with them and pray to the cookie gods to get the icing smooth. Quite the hassle. She has been by far the biggest contribution to what I try to do (not to mention her cookies are so darn cute! Such an inspiration!). So wonderful that she shared her recipe and for all the help she gives us. Good call on posting this, Alagaos, and glad your cookies turned out so well! icon_smile.gif

cookiesbyms Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 16

I too want to say a big THANK YOU, best icing by far. My only problem is that Im having a problem with the Australian customs, there stopping my meringue powder getting to me. Don't know what Im going to do, cant image cookie decorating without it. icon_sad.gif

Pebbles13 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 16

I agree with the rest of you. Antonia74's RI is the best. I use it so often, I should have memorized it, but it has a special place taped inside the kitchen cabinet door above the counter where I "do my work" icon_smile.gif Thanks for posting this, and THANKS Antonia74 (Helen)!

antonia74 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 16

You guys are all SO welcome! My favourite part of this site is getting to share what I can. I am tickled pink when people post these astounding cookies on CC and then mention they used my icing recipe! icon_smile.gif I'm so happy to hear about your success with it.


Happy baking! thumbs_up.gif

cakelass Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:43am
post #6 of 16

A big thank you from me too! Tried your icing once and never turned back. Thanks for sharing.

cookiemookie Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 16

A big "Thank You" from me also!

I adore your icing recipe. I find it really hard to even think of trying anything else.

You are extremely talented, and yet so willing to take the time to answer all our newbie questions.

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. It's greatly appreciated.

bonniebakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:37pm
post #8 of 16

Yes, yes, yes! You were my very first cookie inspiration! Thank you for everything you share!!!

blubakers Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:44am
post #9 of 16

i'm excited to use antonia's icing for the first time. is it best to use squirt bottles with piping tips or can i use a pastry bag with a coupler/tip? which allows for best control and neat lines.

any suggestions on what size tips to buy also? it's my first time making sugar cookies and i want to do outlines, writing on 3-5" cookies.

thanks!

bonniebakes Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubakers

i'm excited to use antonia's icing for the first time. is it best to use squirt bottles with piping tips or can i use a pastry bag with a coupler/tip? which allows for best control and neat lines.

any suggestions on what size tips to buy also? it's my first time making sugar cookies and i want to do outlines, writing on 3-5" cookies.

thanks!




Welcome to CC!

I think bag vs. bottle is a matter of preference Personally, I have better control with a bag, holding the bottle is awkward for me/

I most often use tips 1-5 four outlining and filling. Sometimes a 00 or 0 for writing or very fine details.

blubakers Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:39pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Quote:



Welcome to CC!

I think bag vs. bottle is a matter of preference Personally, I have better control with a bag, holding the bottle is awkward for me/

I most often use tips 1-5 four outlining and filling. Sometimes a 00 or 0 for writing or very fine details.




thanks! i got some tips 1-5. can i use a ziploc bag instead of a pastry bag?

question for anyone: what does the cream of tartar do for texture in this recipe?

Elise87 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:41am
post #12 of 16

i agree, thanks for the great recipe Antonia!!! thumbs_up.gif

CbyA Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:49am
post #13 of 16

I want to say to Antonia74 "THANK YOU" I tried your royal icing recipe and it is amazing!! I will never come back to my old recipe, again, THANKS for sharing yours...Cbya

bonniebakes Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 11:58am
post #14 of 16

blubakers - I always use a disposable ziplock bag instead of a pastry bag - no problem. I do suggest you use the "Freezer grade" though, so that you don't have any untimely explosions! icon_biggrin.gif

katielb Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 12:07pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesbyms

I too want to say a big THANK YOU, best icing by far. My only problem is that Im having a problem with the Australian customs, there stopping my meringue powder getting to me. Don't know what Im going to do, cant image cookie decorating without it. icon_sad.gif




Why are you getting your meringue powder from o/s?? Plenty of places in Oz sell it?? Its readily available icon_smile.gif

ZlatkaT Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:11pm
post #16 of 16

What kind of Meringue powder do you sue, or where do you buy yours? I am using the only one from Wilton (at Michaels) and this one contains the tartar of cream. Should I still add the tartar to the recipe? Or I saw "dry eggs" at Vons, is that the same as Meringue powder??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%