Help - Need Ideas For A Pinwheel Cake

Decorating By dogluvr Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 3:00pm by dogluvr

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a cake for an autism fundraiser for 200 people and the theme is pinwheels...any ideas for a design would be appreciated. I thought maybe I would do a sheet cake and have a couple round cakes on pedestals around it....but need help with a design....I'm open for any ideas...thanks.

2 replies
scoobydid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobydid Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 3

I once purchased a pinwheel cookie cutter. Unfortunately, I don't recall where I got it. If you can find one, maybe you can use it to cut gumpaste or fondant and form some pinwheels of different colors. Let them harden and attach to small dowels of varying heights. You could have these vertical, coming up from a basic sheet cake or you could make them and put them on individual cupcakes (probably more work). Or, forget the stick and lay them flat on cupcakes. Another thought is a topsy turvy cake with pinwheels sticking out from all over. I tend to think of green and gardens when I think of pinwheels, probably because they're sold in the Spring in the garden section of the store. Maybe you could mix in a few butterflies, for variety. Perhaps rice paper would work for the pinwheels too. Take a spray bottle, fill with water or clear alcohol, and dampen the rice paper so you can shape into a pinwheel and leave to dry. You can dry brush color onto the paper once dry to add color. You may need royal icing to hold the pinwheel together in the middle. I haven't actually tried any of these idea but maybe they'll help you get your creative ideas flowing. Good luck.

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 3

thank you very much...those are good ideas

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%