Buttercream Disaster

Decorating By jennybox Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 10:21pm by GenGen

jennybox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennybox Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:55am
post #1 of 8

Whenever I tint my buttercream, it looks lovely in the bowl and when I ice the cake. However, after about an hour, I start getting spots all over where it looks like the color in the buttercream is bleaching out. I've tried undermixing and overmixing the icing. I've tried refrigerating overnight to let the color set. It has happened with several brands of gel colors. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!

7 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:07am
post #2 of 8

Do you sift your sugar?
Edna

Sashat06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sashat06 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:07am
post #3 of 8

I am not 100% sure without seeing it and knowing all the brand names of everything you use but I'll try to help. It is possible that the butter is not getting creamed well enough, leaving small spots that changes the color after setting up. Sometimes that happens because the butter has not been mixed at room temp. Good luckicon_smile.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:20am
post #4 of 8

a few months back i had an experience with buttercream that i've never had before, i used pink coloring, yes wiltons cause thats all i can get up here w/o mail ordering- and as the day wore on and on through to the next day the shade got lighter and lighter till it was almost hard to tell that it had been pink to begin with! i'm still stymied over it

Nchanted1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nchanted1 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:54am
post #5 of 8

Do you use salt in your BC? If it is not fully dissolved early in the recipe, it will result in tiny bleached spots as the cake sits. Try using ultrafine salt or lettong it sit in the liquid until invisible. HTH

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

a few months back i had an experience with buttercream that i've never had before, i used pink coloring, yes wiltons cause thats all i can get up here w/o mail ordering- and as the day wore on and on through to the next day the shade got lighter and lighter till it was almost hard to tell that it had been pink to begin with! i'm still stymied over it

Pinks & purples are the most prone to fading. Blues & reds can do the same. It's due to exposure to light.

If you want the colors to remain true, you have to keep the icing and the iced cake out of light, fluorescent or natural.

I've purchased some ChefMaster no-fade pink & purple and the results are great. Definitely worth the investment & shipping costs.

Rae

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nchanted1

Do you use salt in your BC? If it is not fully dissolved early in the recipe, it will result in tiny bleached spots as the cake sits. Try using ultrafine salt or lettong it sit in the liquid until invisible. HTH

Yes I agree.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:21pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

Pinks & purples are the most prone to fading. Blues & reds can do the same. It's due to exposure to light.

If you want the colors to remain true, you have to keep the icing and the iced cake out of light, fluorescent or natural.

I've purchased some ChefMaster no-fade pink & purple and the results are great. Definitely worth the investment & shipping costs.

Rae

iv'e used pink before w/o this problem happening till this incident, and red many many times with no fading in fact the reds always darkened. but thanks for the no fade information- i plan on looking them up!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%