Want To Learn To Decorate Cakes That Look Professional.

Decorating By beingcreative Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 5:08am by beenzee

beingcreative Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beingcreative Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:51am
post #1 of 5

I have always thought that cake decorating would be fun. I love being creative and this seems like a good avenue for me to try my hands at. I recently did a monkey cake for my son's 1st birthday and it turned out pretty good.

My question is, how do I go about learning all this stuff? Where did all of you learn the art of cake decorating? I live in a rural area and so there are no places for me to take classes locally (closest place is 1 hour away). I've been tempted to purchase some videos I saw online at: http://www.cakesmadeeasy.com/ Does anyone have experience with these?

Thanks,
Kelly

4 replies
apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:05am
post #2 of 5

There is tons of info and how to's on the internet...(youtube), this site is also amazing, and very informative. Wilton books offer a lot of info and instructions for beginners as well.

tjrobin31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjrobin31 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:05am
post #3 of 5

i learned mostly on my own by trying things i saw here and there, this site is a really great site for anyone just starting to do cakes, cookies, cupcakes, there are so many helpful people on here, always willing to give advice, directions etc or lead you to where you can find the info your looking for, there are alot of great tutorials here and on youtube, and a lot of great people willing to help.
Happy caking
and welcome to cc

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:08am
post #4 of 5

I agree it is just TONS of practice, and trial and error!

beenzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenzee Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:08am
post #5 of 5

I started just recently. My son has a peanut allergy, so i started by baking all the family birthday cakes.
I haven't taken any classes, but i would love to.
Basically, I read everything i could online..starting with how to make marshmallow fondant. (Though now I use Satin Ice)
I looked at thousands of photos online. This website and Flickr.
Any question I had I would email the person, and so many have been generous in sharing tips and instructions.
Youtube has lots of instructional videos.
I bought lots of books too.
The videos from sugaredproductions.com are fantastic!

Go for it, have fun and good luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%