Who Asked Me About A Feather For A Derby Hat?

Decorating By sadsmile Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 1:51pm by sadsmile

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:48am
post #1 of 4

I have combed the forum posts I have been in and I can't find you! If you find this I hope it helps...

I rolled out gumpaste about 1/8 inch thin. I cut out the general shape of a feather. I made indents for the center quil and then thinner indents with a knife for the feather texture. I made small cuts on some of those lines on the outside and streched the tips and bent them this way and that. I crumpled pu some foil to lay the feather on for extra shape. I bent the feather right down the center spine like a V or like a leaf and layed it out letting it go back mostly flat into the foil. I piped on some icing for extra depth-though I don't think it turned out better with the icing and next time I will leave it off.

The first pic is one I found on line and used as inspiration. The second pic on the foil is how I left my feather to dry and shows the shape and contour.

(CAPS in title are for attention getting hopefully for the one person who asked me that I can't find.)
LL
LL

3 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 4

GIRL!!! you are amazing!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

I am so excited to try this!!

I can't say thank you enough!!

I will definately post pics of how mine turns out!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 4

Awesome! Thanks for posting thumbs_up.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 4

ONE MORE THING!-- I also went around the edge after making the cuts in the side with a ball tool. This thins out the edges to give a more realistic look. I don't have a ball tool yet but the round end of my glass candy making thermometer sure came in handy!!!

Hows that for MacGyver-ness?

You are so very welcome! Happy decorating! Now go tickle your fancy and get all feather happy and post some pics when you get done!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%