Bit Off More Than I Can Chew... Feel Really Bad

Decorating By saramachen Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 1:03pm by todolomio

saramachen Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:32am
post #1 of 11

So i agreed to make a 2 layer topsy turvy... bottom chocolate with peanut butter filling and top white with strawberry filling... all was going great until it came time to stack the top layer... the fruit filling caused the layers to slide (i think) and it didn't quite fit in the hole....

i saved it sort of... the top layer is more icing than cake and im not sure how stable it is... Im really worried that it will fall in the car during delivery.

I told her $70 which is crazy cheap i know... but i don't think i can charge her at all... my husband says it doesn't look too bad but he is just being supportive.

10 replies
MLopardi Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:47am
post #2 of 11

Would you be willing to post a photo? I bet it's not that bad. I understand the feeling though. Those topsy turvy's bring their own set of challenges. When does it get delivered? If it shifts more during delivery you could offer her a discount to save yourself from feeling too guilty. You put a lot of effort into it though, and deserve to be compensated for that. And it sounds delicious. Don't get discouraged. Each challenge we face makes us a better cake maker!

eneq Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:56am
post #3 of 11

sorry you are having problems with your cake. i have learned to just use buttercream for those topsies. maybe u can dowel that top layer to the board so it doesnt shift anymore and just try stacking at the site to keep from having a disaster. good luck and hope it goes welll

saramachen Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 11

I used sps so it travelled fine... i was so relieved. the customer was super sweet. I told her i wasn't happy with the outcome and that i felt bad charging her full pop. She told me it was great and gave me what i asked for originally and told me she has another cake comming up in a couple months so she will send me an email! I was very happy.

the site wont let me add the attachement so i will post the pic a little later when it will.

miss-tiff Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 11

Glad it made it there in one piece! I think we're all our own worst critics. It was probably a very good-looking (and tasting) cake!

Kitagrl Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:18am
post #6 of 11

Be sure you never let on to a customer that you think your work is sub standard!!!! There have been many times I've been less than satisfied with my work but I just smile and give it to the customer and pretty much every time they are completely happy with their cake...sometimes even totally stunned! I just have to mentally shrug and say "Well at least THEY like it...thats what counts!" Don't ever offer refunds unless something in the cake is actually different than what the customer ordered.

todolomio Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:45pm
post #7 of 11

Ok, so I've been there and I thought the same thing I bit more than I can chew. I made my first topsy turvy for a neighbor (yeah a neighbor I would have to see everytime I went in and out of my house icon_eek.gif ) So, It's the morning of the event and I'm stacking the darn cake they were covered in fondant, I cut the hole the same size as the tier that was going on top and when I place the cake in the hole the hole was super big!!!! as if the hole got bigger or streched with the fondant!! I was in tears icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif So, I winded up making some additional decorations to cover the rim! I hate these topsy turvy cakes and I also charged like $65 for it
icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I should of charged more but , live and learn icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Cakepro Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:57pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by saramachen

the customer was super sweet. I told her i wasn't happy with the outcome and that i felt bad charging her full pop.

Rule number one is never tell the customer ANYTHING negative about the cake!!

I'm glad it worked out, but in the future, present your cake like it's the greatest cake in the world. If you need to second-guess your cake, do it to cake-friends, not customers. icon_wink.gif

todolomio Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:00pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramachen

the customer was super sweet. I told her i wasn't happy with the outcome and that i felt bad charging her full pop.

Rule number one is never tell the customer ANYTHING negative about the cake!!

I'm glad it worked out, but in the future, present your cake like it's the greatest cake in the world. If you need to second-guess your cake, do it to cake-friends, not customers. icon_wink.gif

I agree with Cakepro, I never said my mistake but highlighted the beautiful trims I made!!! icon_lol.gif

michellesArt Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:00pm
post #10 of 11

oh i get to try a topsyturvy cake soon-i'm very excited but very nervous too but i want to stretch a bit and i know my friend will be happy even if it doesn't turn out-so what are some of your best tips for these cakes?

todolomio Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:03pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellesArt

oh i get to try a topsyturvy cake soon-i'm very excited but very nervous too but i want to stretch a bit and i know my friend will be happy even if it doesn't turn out-so what are some of your best tips for these cakes?

If you have time try it once before the real one needs to be made! That way your confident when making it for a client. There is a tutorial here on CC that I used and it was stable!! No moving cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%