Michele Fosters Fondant Question

Decorating By Susans53 Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 4:53pm by xstitcher

Susans53 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:47am
post #1 of 28

I'm sorry that this is a repeat but I chould not find the orginal thread. How long can I store her fondant? OMG, it is so.........good!

27 replies
Sugarflowers Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:00am
post #2 of 28

It can be stored up to a month at room temperature. If you want to keep it longer than that, then you should freeze it. Just be sure that it is very well wrapped and sealed in an airtight container. When you are ready to use it, let it come to room temperature very slowly. Essentially, let it sit out over night.

I'm very glad you like the recipe.

p.s. My husband had the idea for me to put a page on my site with tips and information about the fondant. I have answered the same questions countless times and I was thinking that I could just refer people to that site. Does this seem like a good idea? I don't mean to sound rude or anything, my fingers are getting tired! icon_smile.gif

chilz822 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:53am
post #3 of 28

Go for it, Michele... you've certainly earned the right!

xstitcher Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 6:30am
post #4 of 28

I think that's a great idea Michelle! That way not only do you have to just refer those of us that have questions to your site but it'll be easy to find all in one place.

Franluvsfrosting Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 28

I think that would be a fantastic idea! I usually search the forums and eventually find my answer because I don't like bugging people (especially when I know they get bugged alot!) Having one page that I could bookmark and refer to whenever I run into a new issue would be super helpful for a newbie to fondant like me.

BTW, my whole family really likes the taste of your fondant recipe better than any others I've tried. Especially when I make the white chocolate variation. One of my daughters (a chocoholic if ever there was one!) wants to cut it into bite sized pieces and dip them in chocolate! I haven't let her yet, mostly because I'm afraid I'll like it too much!

Win Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 28

Michele, I think that sounds like an awesome idea! Post away, and thank you for the newest variation of your recipe posted recently. It incorporates all that has been discussed in recent forums including the addition of chocolate, etc. I recently received a bucket of Satin Ice as a prize (the first time I've had the opportunity to use it since I don't find it affordable as a hobbyist,) and I will say it is smooth, but I can also assert is is NOTHING in comparison to the quality I get when I make your fondant. I'm a life-long fan and will never go to the bucket variety of fondant... your recipe puts the cake "over-the-top."

Vylette Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 28

I agree, great idea!
Might save you some carpel tunnel later in life =)
you are so very gracious to share so much, thank you
Ive assembled all the ingredients to try it out for the first time very soon!

dogluvr Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 28

that would be great...thank you Michele for all you've done for us already.....

FlourPots Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 28

Not rude at all...

With all the buzz about your amazing fondant, I don't ever see the questions slowing down...it's time to give your fingers a break...you've been more than patient and accommodating icon_smile.gif .

Sugarflowers Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:07am
post #10 of 28

Okay. I have 20 answers typed up and ready to post. I will try to get them on my web site Monday. I'm not making any promises though! icon_smile.gif I put it in an FAQ format. I hope I covered it all. When I get it posted I will let you know here and in a separate post. After that all questions can be directed to that page.

Thanks for supporting me on this.

xstitcher Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:40pm
post #11 of 28

Hey Michele, it's funny you should post now, I was just on your site last night to see if you had done it yet. icon_lol.gif Yeah, I know I have to learn how to be patient. Too keep me satisfied though, I just re-watched your DVD instead. icon_lol.gif

Sugarflowers Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:43pm
post #12 of 28

It's done! I have added a page to my site that has a list of FAQs about my fondant recipe. If you have any questions at all, please read the entire page of information. If your answer is still not there I will do my best to help. http://www.sugarfix1.tafitibuilder.com/fondant.html

I have also included a donation page if you are so inclined. icon_smile.gif

Thanks to all.

nicolesprinkle Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:59pm
post #13 of 28

The recipe calls for 3 Tablespoons of gelatin, I bought the Knox packets. How many packets makes 3 Tablespoons? Also can I double this recipe or is it a better idea to make one batch at a time? TFL

Sugarflowers Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:33pm
post #14 of 28

Thank you for bringing this question to my attention. I did not answer it in the original set of answers. It's number 21 now.

Anyway, measure the gelatin. Each packet contains a different amount. I honestly don't know how much each packet contains because I have been using bulk gelatin from the health food store for so many years.

nicolesprinkle Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 9:40pm
post #15 of 28

OK! Thanks for that! I'm sorry, but I have another question! I have looked at 4 different grocery stores and I can only find light corn syrup! Can I use light? Has anyone used it and been successful?

FlourPots Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 9:58pm
post #16 of 28

Yes, light is what you want...it refers to the color, not that it's low-fat.

Sugarflowers Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 10:35pm
post #17 of 28

Yes, light corn syrup is fine. It is what is normally used. Dark corn syrup will work, but the taste and color will be different. This will be personal taste.

Thanks for reminding me another question to be answered. I honestly thought I had it all covered!

Franluvsfrosting Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 10:52pm
post #18 of 28

Thank you!! I have bookmarked your page and I appreciate the time you spent creating it! icon_smile.gif

FlourPots Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:21am
post #19 of 28

Jesus...I just made what I think is my best tasting batch of this fondant so far.

It was a HALF batch actually (I wanted to test a new flavoring I just got - Butter Vanilla)

I added 3/4 tsp. salt...up from my normal 1/2 tsp. for a half batch (I just don't like overly sweet, I'd rather taste flavor not sugar).

I used 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp. MAGIC LINE Butter Vanilla, & 1/2 tsp. MAGIC LINE Creme Bouquet...Wow! YUM!

Sugarflowers Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:05am
post #20 of 28

The updated version has a few mistakes so I have posted the recipe again with everything corrected (I hope). It is listed under Michele Foster Fondant, MFF. I have also updated the information on my web site: www.thesugarfixtoo.com. There is a LOT of information there. I really hope this helps with fondant issues. My fingers are so tired...

xstitcher Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:51am
post #21 of 28

Thanks for the update Michele. Also wanted to mention that you may want to take the period out after the .com above because it won't go to your site with it there icon_smile.gif

Sugarflowers Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:52pm
post #22 of 28

Thanks, xstitcher. Here it is: www.thesugarfixtoo.com

MissRobin Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:26pm
post #23 of 28

Michele, I went to Wal-Mart last night and bought some glycerin, it was over by the band-aids, is that the right stuff. I am kind of freaking out about it, I need it for this weekend and had heard of people buying it at Wal-mart.

Sugarflowers Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:23pm
post #24 of 28

The glycerin you bought is the right kind. Unless you have a license for petroleum based glycerin you cannot get it. You certainly wouldn't find it any where in Wal-Mart, much less in the pharmacy department.

This and many other questions are answered here on CC in several threads and in the information I posted on my web site www.thesugarfixtoo.com .

There's no need to be concerned.

MissRobin Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:26pm
post #25 of 28

Thanks Michele, In the meantime I called my Health Food Store and they carry the vegetable glycerine, so I guess I am covered. It just seemed weird buying something for my cake in the band aid isle, LOL! It does not say food safe anywhere on it but in the ingredients it says 99.5 glycerine.
thanks again!!

Susie53 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:34pm
post #26 of 28
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

p.s. My husband had the idea for me to put a page on my site with tips and information about the fondant. I have answered the same questions countless times and I was thinking that I could just refer people to that site. Does this seem like a good idea? I don't mean to sound rude or anything, my fingers are getting tired! icon_smile.gif

Sounds like a great idea! thumbs_up.gif

Sugarflowers Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:37pm
post #27 of 28

I did post it on www.thesugarfix.com and in a separate thread to no avail. Bummer.

xstitcher Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:53pm
post #28 of 28
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

I did post it on www.thesugarfix.com and in a separate thread to no avail. Bummer.

That is a bummer Michele, but at least it explains why I couldn't find it (it was the 1st site I went too).

Quote by @%username% on %date%