Friday Night Cake Club, 3.27.09

Decorating By leah_s Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 3:56am by Rocketgirl899

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:33am
post #31 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

isabow2,
Yeah, I won't do naughty cakes, but some bewbies covered by some lacy fondant or even tight cornelli to look like a bra and I'd do it!

I don't mind doing it for the boss b/c he's a friend of mine, but the company he keeps is questionable & I could see it turning into more orders/requests. To which I'll just have to let them know that this was a 1 time thing. But honestly, I'm just so excited to make a cake w/a purpose even if it is anatomy. Most of, ok almost all, of my cakes were just for fun or practice so I'm happy to have a cake w/an intended home (which won't effect my waist size icon_wink.gif ) thumbs_up.gif

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:36am
post #32 of 84

Thanks Janel...once I get this one delivered, I will be able to breath. I love doing wedding cakes, but until the cake is there and set up, I have a hard time relaxing. And it's supposed to rain tomorrow...I don't like the rain when i'm delivering. UGH!!!

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:38am
post #33 of 84

Leahs,
I'm going to made a square cake for my nieces wedding & I need your help. I want to order the SPS but not sure exactly what to order. It's going to be square with 6, 8, 10, 12, 14" tiers. Can you help? I'm afraid I'll order the wrong thing & won't know until it's time to put it together & it'll be too late.

HarmonyStar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarmonyStar Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:39am
post #34 of 84

I am new to the website as of tonight. icon_smile.gif I am happy to find a place where I can get tips and ideas and just talk to others with the same hobby/career. icon_smile.gif
Seems like a fun place!!

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:40am
post #35 of 84

This must be the slow weekend of the year!! I just baked 6 dozen mexican wedding cake cookies for delivery tomorrow, I have a consultation with a bride at noon tomorrow and then I'm going to work on gp flowers and bow for cakes for next weekend!

Glad to see the FNCC going strong!

I will be up late next Friday night for sure . . . I'll see ya'll then!

Suze

PatricesPieces Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:41am
post #36 of 84

Welcome aboard Harmony...this place is wonderful. You will quickly become addicted. Where are you from??

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:41am
post #37 of 84

I don't think its really supposed to rain until late in the afternoon. Good luck with the delivery!!

I have really only done 2 wedding cakes and the stress from them was really more than I could take!! I like kids cakes - even if you screw up the kids don't care - they just want cake!!

Well - in the future I'm here to help if you need it!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:42am
post #38 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnancy

Leahs,
I'm going to made a square cake for my nieces wedding & I need your help. I want to order the SPS but not sure exactly what to order. It's going to be square with 6, 8, 10, 12, 14" tiers. Can you help? I'm afraid I'll order the wrong thing & won't know until it's time to put it together & it'll be too late.

Easy. You need square SPS plates (Oasis Supply) in 6,8,10 and 12. And two bags of columns. The 14 will sit on the bottom board.

If you need 4" columns (4" tier height) order the GC-4S legs. If you have 5" tiers, then order the multipiece legs. If you have separations, again, order the multipiece legs.

The plates and legs come in white, ivory and clear. I always buy white.

HarmonyStar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarmonyStar Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:43am
post #39 of 84

Thanks for the welcome! I am from Orange County, CA. I am new-ish to cake decorating. I started classes last August and recently decided to get my AA in Pastry Arts. So, I am currently doing cakes on the side. I try to practice as much as possible and look forward to what I can learn from you all! icon_biggrin.gif

PatricesPieces Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:44am
post #40 of 84

I deliver at 1pm. I'm hoping it holds off until then. Thanks for the offer to help. I may have to take ya up on that sometime!!

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:44am
post #41 of 84

Hoping some of you are lingering!

I need to put the following topper on a topsy turvy cake....

Any suggestions as I didn't make "feet" to stick it in the cake?

It is fondant with tylose and I made it last weekend so it is really "hopefully" hard.

Oh and I am working on a sugarshack creation... oh why do i shoot for such excellence?!?! you know the amazing blue whimsical one? hehe.

TIA

oh and sorry for the camera phone bad lighting! its the quickest way to get it up.
LL

PatricesPieces Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:46am
post #42 of 84

Well...you have come to the right place for that. Anything you could possible want to know about cakes is on this site. And not just cakes...anything sugar related.

gringa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gringa Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:48am
post #43 of 84

Hey I do have a question.....do any of you have some tried and true suggestions for cake and filling combos for a three tiered wedding cake? One is going to be WASC for sure, probably a raspberry filling. But two are up for grabs....suggestions would be most appreciated!

leah_s Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:48am
post #44 of 84

Well . . .if you didn't put skewers in that 80, then I think you're going to have to
1) put it on the side of the cake or
2) use RI to glue skewers to the back of it.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:50am
post #45 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmonyStar

I am new to the website as of tonight. icon_smile.gif I am happy to find a place where I can get tips and ideas and just talk to others with the same hobby/career. icon_smile.gif
Seems like a fun place!!

Welcome!! I have learned so much from CC! I have tried things I never would have tried and accomplished things I thought I could never accomplish ( unless I went to some school for it!)

Can't wait to see some of your cakes icon_smile.gif

People to listen to..... especially
Leahs
Sugarshack (Sharon)
ToEdna
Indydebi

okay about 20 more I can't think right now but I have icing and a topsy turvy cake on the mind!

leah_s Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:50am
post #46 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringa

Hey I do have a question.....do any of you have some tried and true suggestions for cake and filling combos for a three tiered wedding cake? One is going to be WASC for sure, probably a raspberry filling. But two are up for grabs....suggestions would be most appreciated!

Doesn't your bride want to pick the flavors?

PatricesPieces Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:50am
post #47 of 84

Tia...do you have anything else that can go on top that you can use to support it?? Or you can insert a toothpick and just have a small point sticking out to support the topper. You could add a small amount of gumpaste to cover the point of the toothpick and give the topper something to adhere to. (I hope this makes sense). You can cover anything showing with some swirls or flowers or any other decorations you may be using.

leah_s Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:50am
post #48 of 84

OK, I'm signing off for now.

Take care of each other!

newnancy Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:52am
post #49 of 84

Leahs,
THANK YOU! I will order those now that you've told me what to order, I've just been chicken not knowing for sure. I really appreciate the help, you should be getting a kick back because you've convinced me & a lot others that this is the only way to go. Can't wait to try this.

Thanks again,
Nancy

PatricesPieces Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:52am
post #50 of 84

Night leah!!!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:52am
post #51 of 84

argh... I was afraid you were going to say that Leahs!

how far up the sides do you think the skewers need to go? I wanna try to hide them as best I can. hard to do with those numbers.

I am trying to think of something clear and food safe... what about those message holders from a florist? (if painting the skewers doesn't work!)?

PatricesPieces Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:56am
post #52 of 84

I think the clear message holders would work great. That is a great idea. I would do that before I mess it up with trying to attach skewers.

PatricesPieces Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:01am
post #53 of 84

Since the topper has already had plenty of time to dry, why not form an 80 out of wire and wrap a small amount of black fondant to cover the wire then just attach the dried 80 to the form. Since the 80 is already dry, the form would hold!! Just throwing some ideas out there.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:08am
post #54 of 84

thats a thought serenatea!

The only tricky part is the numbers is formed from 3 ropes twisted together and i liked the detail on the back... I did make a back up set of numbers just in case... and the cake is for tommorow at 1. id have to go out to the the floral things. but will have time.. i will keep thinking. I gotta stack the sucker and I am DREADING it because its BC.. and topsy turvy.... ahh!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:10am
post #55 of 84

Ill be up for a while... but need to be working on the cake. I want to get some sleep tonight icon_biggrin.gif Ill check in in a little icon_biggrin.gif

PatricesPieces Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:14am
post #56 of 84

If you used a thin strip of fondant, it might not be that noticeable. It would just look like part of the toper. The fondant would be soft, so the stable one would have something to stick to.

Topsy turvy....I have not been asked to do one of those yet. Thank goodnes. I do not like the idea of them at all. Good luck on the delivery. Can't wait to see a picture.

cats242 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cats242 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:14am
post #57 of 84

Hi All. I'm still new to cake decorating but I'm working on my first fondant cake tonight for a friends baby shower tomorrow night. I volunteered to do the cake so I could get some practice. I guess I'm fairly happy with it so far...the bottom tier (WASC w/strawberry filling) is covered now...I can't seem to get the fondant on completely with out having a few folds around the bottom. There is a good "front" so I figured I should leave it alone before I made it worse. I'm about to go cover the second tier (chocolate w/ pb filling)...hopefully I can get it a little straighter than the first tier!

PatricesPieces Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:18am
post #58 of 84

Cats....just keep pulling the fondant out at the bottom to stretch it and smooth down with your hand at the same time. It will keep the folds from forming. I hope that makes sense...it's easier to show you than type it. Good luck on your cake!!

gringa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gringa Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:19am
post #59 of 84

Good luck Cats....they sound yummy. Fondant takes some practice. No one will care, so don't worry.

newnancy Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:24am
post #60 of 84

Cats, .....I need a recipe for a good strawberry filling.....do you mind sharing?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%