Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By tomsmom245 Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 2:40am by kimblyd

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:09am
post #1 of 6

I was wondering if I can cover a cake in modeling chocolate? I have never used it and want to know if it is difficult to work with?

5 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:21am
post #2 of 6

Yes, you can cover a cake with modeling chocolate.

It's initially stiffer to work with than fondant, but warms with the heat of your hands. It's self healing with that hand heat, but also more prone to be a bit lumpy & bumpy for the same reason.

It's very expensive.

Choco Pan fondant is more modeling chocolate than fondant. It does take some practice & getting used to.

You can also make modeling chocolate and knead it into regular fondant. It makes a superb hybrid product that has the best of both worlds.

HTH
Rae

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:31am
post #3 of 6

Thanks Rae. What I am hoping for is making the recipe that is posted on here. I need to cut out pieces like zebra stripes to lay on top of a cake covered in buttercream. Do you think it will work?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:37am
post #4 of 6

You could also try using JenniferMI's pearl clay which is a different ratio modeling chocolate which works like a dream. You can roll it thin, it is sturdy, tasty and you can do just about anything with it. It's also a lot easier than Chocopan to work with. Jen also has a white chocolate fondant which is different than the pearl clay -- and it tastes divine!!! icon_lol.gif You might consider those options too. You can get more information from Jen herself at www.jenniferdontz.com. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:38am
post #5 of 6

Yes, it'll work for the stripes. Fondant will work, too. I attach it to the buttercream by putting a bit of buttercream on the back of the fondant accents.

Rae

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:40am
post #6 of 6

You can definitely do that....I used candy clay for the zebra stripes on Debbie's 50th cake in my pictures.

I used Wilton candy melts (the dark chocolate ones) followed the recipe on the bag and added a lot of black Americolor gel. Some say the gel coloring will cause the chocolate to seize, but I use it all the time.

I make up the candy clay and pour it out on wax paper to cool. While it is still a little warm and gooey I mix in the color. I let it rest overnight and use it the next day. It's easier than trying to knead in the color after the clay has hardened, especially when you need a lot of a color.

Edited to add: I have used the clay to cover a whole cake once. It is the football cake in my pictures. I had a little trouble getting it thin enough without tearing to cover the cake. I don't think I would try to do it with a bigger cake. I have never used fondant to cover a cake either, so it could have just been my lack of experience.

HTH.

Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%