Cube Shaped Cakes

Decorating By familycakemaker Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 10:31pm by familycakemaker

familycakemaker  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
familycakemaker Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 4

I want to make an 8 inch block cake for my twin niece and nephew's first birthday. I thought about making 4 layers in an 8 inch square pan and stacking them, but I'm not sure what I would need for supports. Would just dowels work, or would I need to find the flat supports that tiered cakes rest on?

3 replies
 korensmommy  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 4

Here is a Bunco cake I made:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1333279

It is 4 - 6" square pans. The only supports it has are 4 drinking straw dowels. I meant to put a cake board between the 2nd & 3rd layers but forgot! She drove it around town while doing errands before the Bunco (aaarrgh!) game and it held up fine.

KatesCakesBC  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatesCakesBC Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 4

Hey there,

I don't have a picture of this up but I did a Baby Shower cake of "Baby Blocks". I made four smaller cubes and stacked 1 on top of the other 3 to make a pile of blocks. My cubes were quite a bit smaller (only 4x4) but I also got away with using drinking straws as dowels. I imagine there is a certain amount of stability to these cakes regardless because of the shape - but I put one straw in each corner of the cubes to prevent the layers from sliding off each other. I think putting a cake board in the middle of the cake would be a good idea for a larger cube to prevent sagging in the middle - just be sure you can get one dowel in the centre all the way through all the layers and the board for support! Maybe - just off the top of my head - put a few dowels just in the bottom layers to take the weight of the board and the cake in the top layers? What do you think?

One piece of advice I would give, and maybe it is quite obvious but I wasn't prepared for it, is make more layers than you think you will need... for some reason 4 one inch layers do not always equal 4 inches of height icon_smile.gif I know it is because the cake compresses... but to get the true cube look - which looks so cool - the height needs to match the width and it takes more layers than you think it will!

Have Fun

familycakemaker  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
familycakemaker Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the advice! I'll definately use the dowels. I wondered whether 4 layers would stack up high enough too, so I think I'll start baking early enough that I can do more layers if I need to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%