Cube Shaped Cakes

Decorating By familycakemaker Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 10:31pm by familycakemaker

familycakemaker Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 4

I want to make an 8 inch block cake for my twin niece and nephew's first birthday. I thought about making 4 layers in an 8 inch square pan and stacking them, but I'm not sure what I would need for supports. Would just dowels work, or would I need to find the flat supports that tiered cakes rest on?

3 replies
korensmommy Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 4

Here is a Bunco cake I made:

It is 4 - 6" square pans. The only supports it has are 4 drinking straw dowels. I meant to put a cake board between the 2nd & 3rd layers but forgot! She drove it around town while doing errands before the Bunco (aaarrgh!) game and it held up fine.

KatesCakesBC Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 4

Hey there,

I don't have a picture of this up but I did a Baby Shower cake of "Baby Blocks". I made four smaller cubes and stacked 1 on top of the other 3 to make a pile of blocks. My cubes were quite a bit smaller (only 4x4) but I also got away with using drinking straws as dowels. I imagine there is a certain amount of stability to these cakes regardless because of the shape - but I put one straw in each corner of the cubes to prevent the layers from sliding off each other. I think putting a cake board in the middle of the cake would be a good idea for a larger cube to prevent sagging in the middle - just be sure you can get one dowel in the centre all the way through all the layers and the board for support! Maybe - just off the top of my head - put a few dowels just in the bottom layers to take the weight of the board and the cake in the top layers? What do you think?

One piece of advice I would give, and maybe it is quite obvious but I wasn't prepared for it, is make more layers than you think you will need... for some reason 4 one inch layers do not always equal 4 inches of height icon_smile.gif I know it is because the cake compresses... but to get the true cube look - which looks so cool - the height needs to match the width and it takes more layers than you think it will!

Have Fun

familycakemaker Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the advice! I'll definately use the dowels. I wondered whether 4 layers would stack up high enough too, so I think I'll start baking early enough that I can do more layers if I need to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%