Covering A Number Shaped Cake In Fondant?

Decorating By mw902 Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 1:32am by lucia

mw902 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 7

Hi guys!

I have been looking in the galleries for cakes shaped like numbers covered in fondant, haven't seen any. I have seen them done in buttercream but I was wondering if anyone has covered in fondant, and if so is it too terrible to do? I need to do a 4 and a 0 next week and I am debating between fondant and buttercream. Thanks for the help!

Michelle

6 replies
plbennett_8 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 7

Hmmm... Well, I haven't done it... But, I think if I were to tackle it, I would do an "open top" 4 which should be pretty easy.

Now for the 0, what comes to mind is to apply a strip of fondant around the inside wall of the 0, and then cover the top and out sides as usual.

I guess you could try gather the fondant and cover the inside of the 0, and then the top, and out sides...but, it would just stress me out too much...lol icon_rolleyes.gif

Use judical decorations for any "difficult" spots...lol icon_razz.gif

Good luck!
Pat B.

bashini Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 7

Hi there, I have done only NO 1 cakes, which are in my photos. What you can do is measure around the number and cut a strip of fondant for that measurements. Then with that cover around the cake first and then roll out a piece of fondant and cover the top. Take a sharp knife and cut excess off.

If not, roll out some fondant to the size of the cake and cover it as you normaly would.

HTH.

sweetpea5 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 1:24am
post #4 of 7

I did an "80" for my Dad in fondant and was really pleased with the way it turned out, trouble is, I don't know where the picture is....it was 8 1/2 years ago. I cut out the hole in the "0" and indented the holes in the "8", then put one big piece of fondant over each of the numbers. after I placed the fondant , I moved the numbers closer to each other.
did a really thin top beaded border to make the numbers more distinct.

Have fun with your cake.

mw902 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:09am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the help guys! I am gonna try this one this week coming up so I will post a pic when I am done!!!! Wish me luck!

KoryAK Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:23am
post #6 of 7

I don't usually remove whatever center piece for numbers and I do a closed top 4. I just add a piece of black fondant where the hole should be and maybe border it or try to work it into the design (basketball plonked into a 6 for a young man etc...). Soooo much easier than fussing with the insides.

lucia Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:32am
post #7 of 7

I covered 40 in coloured stripes, it's in my photos. Not sure if it is the effect you are after though.

Good luck

lucia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%