Covering A Number Shaped Cake In Fondant?

Decorating By mw902 Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 1:32am by lucia

mw902 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 7

Hi guys!

I have been looking in the galleries for cakes shaped like numbers covered in fondant, haven't seen any. I have seen them done in buttercream but I was wondering if anyone has covered in fondant, and if so is it too terrible to do? I need to do a 4 and a 0 next week and I am debating between fondant and buttercream. Thanks for the help!

6 replies
plbennett_8 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 7

Hmmm... Well, I haven't done it... But, I think if I were to tackle it, I would do an "open top" 4 which should be pretty easy.

Now for the 0, what comes to mind is to apply a strip of fondant around the inside wall of the 0, and then cover the top and out sides as usual.

I guess you could try gather the fondant and cover the inside of the 0, and then the top, and out sides...but, it would just stress me out too icon_rolleyes.gif

Use judical decorations for any "difficult" icon_razz.gif

Good luck!
Pat B.

bashini Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 7

Hi there, I have done only NO 1 cakes, which are in my photos. What you can do is measure around the number and cut a strip of fondant for that measurements. Then with that cover around the cake first and then roll out a piece of fondant and cover the top. Take a sharp knife and cut excess off.

If not, roll out some fondant to the size of the cake and cover it as you normaly would.

sweetpea5 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 1:24am
post #4 of 7

I did an "80" for my Dad in fondant and was really pleased with the way it turned out, trouble is, I don't know where the picture was 8 1/2 years ago. I cut out the hole in the "0" and indented the holes in the "8", then put one big piece of fondant over each of the numbers. after I placed the fondant , I moved the numbers closer to each other.
did a really thin top beaded border to make the numbers more distinct.

Have fun with your cake.

mw902 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:09am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the help guys! I am gonna try this one this week coming up so I will post a pic when I am done!!!! Wish me luck!

KoryAK Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:23am
post #6 of 7

I don't usually remove whatever center piece for numbers and I do a closed top 4. I just add a piece of black fondant where the hole should be and maybe border it or try to work it into the design (basketball plonked into a 6 for a young man etc...). Soooo much easier than fussing with the insides.

lucia Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:32am
post #7 of 7

I covered 40 in coloured stripes, it's in my photos. Not sure if it is the effect you are after though.

Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%