Using 1 8" Pan Instead Of 2

Decorating By kjskid Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 7:01pm by kjskid

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 9

I bought an 8"x3" pan for cakes, but I'm having difficulty with baking them right. The sides and top are close to burnt, not quite, but on the well-done side. I turn the temp to 325* and put aluminum foil on the top if it starts to get too brown, but it still comes out dark brown. I have the same problem if I try to use an 8" square pan. Any tips?

8 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 9

maybe try using an upside down flower nail in the middle of the cake batter, it helps to get heat to the middle, so it will cook better.
xx

kjskid Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 9

yep, did that.

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 9

Maybe try using Wilton's even baking strips, or wrapping damp towel strips around the outside of the pan. You could also try using less batter in the pan...just some ideas for ya. HTH

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 9

You also might want to make sure the temp of your oven is accurate. It could be hotter than you think, causing the cake to cook too quickly on the top and sides...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 9

regular oven or convection oven? I bake at 275 in a convection oven.

lalalady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lalalady Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:11am
post #7 of 9

Fold about 3 sheets of newspaper lengthways so you have long strips the depth of your pan. Soak them in cold water then run your fingers along to get rid of the excess water. Place around the outside of your pan and secure with string. This will prevent the sides from overcooking and prevent doming. Sounds like your oven is too hot, try using an oven thermometer to check the temperature in your oven. If it is browning too quickly put a sheet of greaseproof paper over it rather than foil as foil conducts heat. Hope you have some success. icon_biggrin.gif

Sue icon_biggrin.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:32am
post #8 of 9

Sounds like you're overbaking.

Are you using the Wilton cake preparation charts as a guideline for batter requirement, baking temp. and time:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/

Have you also had this problem with 2" pans, or only the 3"?

kjskid Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 9

I have problems with the 8x3 round and 8x2 square, which are the only ones I currently use right now. I'll have to check the temp of my oven. Thanks for the tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%