Penny's Cookies - Dough Way To Soft

Baking By wildmum Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 8:34pm by Honeydukes

wildmum Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 6

OK so my 2nd time I have made these and the dough is soft. I made several batches in the past fine.

I have chucked the lot into the fridge to chill (while I chill - I am on a deadline for Sunday and its Friday night here in Australia)

Before I never chilled them just rolled and chilled the sheets to cut them and cook.

My flour, butter etc is all different but probably the same brand but certainly not the same batch as the last lot I made a Xmas.

My thing is do I fiddle with the recipe and add more flour and hope I don't stuff them up or is chilling likely to fix it.

We are in the summer time here with warmish weather so I figured the butter was softening too much. I had to chill it back after leaving it on the bench as it was like soft margarine.

What does everyone else do with soft dough - its very soft not like playdough soft.

Katie

5 replies
cylstrial Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 6

I would probably just freeze it for a 10-15 minutes and then do a few cutouts at a time. Put it back in the freezer and work off of a second hunk of dough that has been in the freezer and vice versa.

At the very least, bake a few and make sure they will turn out ok. Hope this helps.

Honeydukes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 6

Penny's recipe is very forgiving -- won't hurt it to add more flour. She sprinkled flour onto the tabletop and kneaded it into the dough. She did this a couple of times until it was no longer sticky or too soft.

wildmum Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:25am
post #4 of 6

Thanks guys,

I think the extra flour on the board and kneading after some chilling worked a treat. It must be just a bit warm here in my kitchen.

Katie

cindy58 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 6

I'd like to try Penny's recipe -- is the 2 Tbs. of vanilla correct? That's a lot more than I usually add to cookies.

Honeydukes Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy58

I'd like to try Penny's recipe -- is the 2 Tbs. of vanilla correct? That's a lot more than I usually add to cookies.

Yes, that's correct, and she prefers Mexican vanilla.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%