Going Backwards...

Decorating By LaDulceria Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 2:03am by Arriva

LaDulceria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaDulceria Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:11pm
post #1 of 11

Well...they say that with practice and time one starts getting better, being able to resolve little problems easily.......not me....i´ve been baking and decorating cakes for more than one year..i´ve done quite a few...but lately ....omg...i´m sorry to say this, but i don´t like the latest cakes i´ve done....the last couple of cakes keeps cracking, the fondant gets awfully dirty (well, not awfully dirty but you know what i mean when just a little dust is hanging around)...i just keep finding mistakes, the lettering is so ugly....aaahhhh i´m getting out of my mind....Sorry to bothered you all with this, but has anybody else experience something like that? is this some kind of moon phase that mess around the cakes?...
well, at least i just got it ut of my chest, Thanks!!!

10 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 11

your cakes all look good in your gallery, from a quick look. id bet the problem isnt that you are not getting better, its that you now recognise mistakes more often. and have higher standards, now you are more aware of what can be achieved. (i fall into this mood too!)
just keep tackling the problems that crop up, then you can get even better at anything icon_smile.gif
xx

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 11

The above post is right. Your eye for decorating is getting better, so you are seeing more.

I remember my very first cake. Took a photo into work to show everyone. One co-worker said, "That's really good for your first one." For my first one? omg was she kidding? This cake was a masterpiece!!!

Then months later, I found this picture and geesh it was the ugliest cake I had ever seen! I couldn't believe that I thought it was actually good at the time I made it! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

You see things differently as you go along.

Have you been super busy lately? Sometimes we just hit burnout and everything we do looks like crap to us .. and it's just because we're tired.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 11

I felt the same way for a while... I actually took a "cake break" for about 6 months and just started up again this month. I think it kind of comes in waves... sometimes your cakes are just better than others. Although I have to agree that the longer you do them the more flaws you notice icon_smile.gif

LaDulceria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaDulceria Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:10am
post #5 of 11

well...i have to say i´ve been very busy latetly...and kind of tired, specially because my main job and the cakes all involve cooking....
i presume that your eye gets trained to find the faults with just one look...
thanks for the advise

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:19am
post #6 of 11

Your cakes are ok,and i'm sure you'll be fine too.Don't be too hard on yourself.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:21am
post #7 of 11

double post

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:21am
post #8 of 11

Yeah, if I'm not into a cake, it totally suffers. My last cake a retro TV cake didn't look anything like I had planned. I just wasn't into it. I did the best I could considering my mood, and everyone loved it. But I knew it could have been much better. Sometimes too, when I know a cake is only going to be looked at for an hour or so (in a dark party room) then cut into it makes it hard to spend a huge amount of time decorating it.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:35am
post #9 of 11

Sorry to hear you are in a funk. I think we have all been there at one time or another. Like deb said, the more experienced you become,the more little problems you see. We are our own worst critics. I can be the same way.

Oh and about the little dust in the fondant. I don't work with it often but when i did i always ran into that problem until someone on CC shared a great tip. Before you start handling the white fondant, take a little peice of it and form a ball, rub your hands, rolling pin, work surface with it. It will pick up all the little lint laying around. Then of course, wear light colored clothes so that there is no dark lint reintroduced.It really works! HTH

Suzanne

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 1:34am
post #10 of 11

I know what you mean! I had to quit making cakes for a year, and then when I got an oven that worked right I started with a cake for my daughters gym for there 35th aniversary. I hate that cake cause I wasnt into it that much, Im in that gym all the time. It was boring, so it didnt come out the way that I wanted it. Since then Ive been building my portfolio for when I open shop and now I loike the cakes ive been doing. Sometimes you just get burned out or something. I think your cakes look great. Dont beat yourself up over it. icon_smile.gif

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:03am
post #11 of 11

I thought your white and gold Chrismas cakes were very pretty. Loved the writing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%