Rectangle Cake - 11"x13" Approx. - Help!!!

Decorating By wildmum Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 12:45pm by wildmum

wildmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildmum Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:35am
post #1 of 5

First up....

The rectangle shape do I just multiply both sides to get the basic "volume" and work that from the chart I have. Ie my chart has square cakes 12" is 900cm2 and the size I have is 894cm2. So can I use that recipe for my cake?

Secondly.....

That recipe calls for a huge amount of ingredients (obviously) and I have a kitchen aid mixer but the basic home one. Should I make the smaller size that would be half and then make a second and mix the 2 together in a bowl before pouring into the pan.

Never occurred to me that the mix was going to be too big for my machine when I got the tin and I need to have the cake made by this time in 24hrs max as the party is in less than 48hrs and I'll need to ise it.

Any help appreciated

Katie

4 replies
CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:42am
post #2 of 5

I am not sure what you are asking. Is this a box mix you are using?

wildmum Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:16pm
post #3 of 5

No its a recipe from a book for a Madeira cake. It has all the quantities for each size cake round or square (no rectangles!) so I am assuming that if I work out the volume of the square compare it to the rectangle I have if its the same I can use that recipe.

The other question was me not sure if the mixer I have can cope with the quantity. Considering the recipe for the cake I think I need has 11 eggs in it, 1lb 10oz of butter, same of caster sugar, 1 1/4 lb plain flour and 6 1/2oz SR flour. it seemed a lot especially looking at the time (though the mix obviously will rise so the tin wont be full of mix)

If it seemed too much for the mixer I thought I could half the mix or make 2 smaller mixes and then mix them together by hand at the end to make the larger quantity.

Did that make the mud any clearer?

Its late at night here (I'm in Australia)

Katie

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 5

i dont see why you couldnt mix half at a time. i would if i had to! and id guess your right about the whole volume thing too, again, thats how id figure it out!
xx

wildmum Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 5

Yeah I was thinking I had a good idea about doing it but then its late and I'm tired, my pregnancy feet are swelling and I really don't fancy a meltdown tomorrow, considering my cookie dough hasn't turned out right either I am in for a big day thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%