How Do I Make A Tree?

Decorating By dcabrera Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 2:28pm by tarheel

dcabrera Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:59am
post #1 of 4

I just got notice to make a Strawberry shortcake cake for my little sister. All I've been able to get is a candle for the cake topper. I'm thinking of making grass and I would like to add a tree. I will be covering a pillar with brown fondant for the trunk, but how or what do I use for the leaves/bush on top of the trunk? PLEEEEZE help. This cake is due Saturday and I want to make it special for her. Thanks icon_smile.gif

3 replies
brincess_b Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 4

for that kind of tree, i think a bush type tree is the way to go. make a ball of fondant, slightly mushed out of shape, and texture it with something - a grater, kitchen roll? and little red balls for apples?
maybe you could paint on some individual leaf shapes?

sweetcakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 4

probably not the kind of trees your wanting but i made trees by rolling 50/50 brown about 1/8" thick and cutting out the rough shape of the tree, inprint bark on the trunk and then let dry, with RI piped leaves all over the top part, once dry attach a cookie stick to the back for insertion into the cake. These are flat of course, but i did it this way cause i wanted loads of trees and the cake was not very big. see pic in gallery. Depending on how much of a cake surface you have to work with this may be an option.

tarheel Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 4

For my neices birthday, I used 4 - 6inch rounds as the trunk...iced in chocolate buttercream...on top of that I put 1 8 inch round with a half circle on top....I used icing to put the trunk and the top lots of icing under the plate....doweled well and it looked pretty good.

I'll try to attach a picture but I'm not very good with neice usually helps me with that and she is at her "real" job today! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%