Adding Ground Nuts To Nfsc?

Baking By tujy Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 6:11pm by antonia74

tujy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tujy Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:34am
post #1 of 5

is this do-able? i was thinking it might be nice to add a little bit of ground hazelnuts or almonds into the recipe. has anybody done this before and if so how did you do it exactly? not sure if adding it would make the cookies too brittle to ice, or if the oils from the nuts would make the cookie spread?

4 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:55am
post #2 of 5

Sure you can! You can add lemon/lime/orange zests, ground nuts, chopped crystallized ginger, dried lavender, dried organic rose petals, green tea powder, etc.

I'd recommend grinding toasted nuts in a processor before adding them. The smaller the pieces, the less they get in the way of your cookie cutters when it comes to rolling/cutting out shapes.

No, the oils in the nuts don't cause more spreading or make them brittle. They should be fine. thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 10:40am
post #3 of 5

Hi tujy, i blitzed just under 1/4 cup of pistachios and added them once to the NFSC recipe. - turned out just fine.
I then did green decorations - (in keeping with the pistachio colour)

Let us know what nuts you add - and how your bikkies turn out.

Bh icon_smile.gif

tujy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tujy Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 5

lavender and rose petals? wow i didn't even know you could eat those. hazelnut sounds good... maybe with a choc nfsc... i do like nutella after all icon_smile.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 5

They are edible, yes! (Just make sure they are from a supplier that hasn't treated them with any chemicals. Bulk health food stores are a great source for them. Craft stores sell them...but intended for soap-making, so do check if they have been treated or not.)

Lavender is great, if used sparingly! (Otherwise, it can be overpowering and remind people of soaps/old ladies, etc. icon_lol.gif )

You can infuse it in the cream while making creme brulees, creme anglaise, ice cream, shortbreads, chocolate truffles, candies, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%