Rice Krispy Creations - How To Cover Them In Fondant

Decorating By Leashy Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 6:40am by Leashy

Leashy Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:56am
post #1 of 6

Newbie here - I have seen some reference to making shapes out of Rice Krispys that are then covered in Fondant.

I am also from Australia so assuming these are like our Rice Bubbles (puffed rice cereal) can someone please share how to make shapes with them and then cover it with fondant.

A bit slow but aren't Rice Krispys all lumpy?? Any light on the matter would be appreciated!

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
paddlegirl14 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:10am
post #2 of 6

Neer done it, but seen it on tv. I would guess that they would need just a tiny bit sticker than normal. They are easy to shape when they re warm. I made some into "cupcakes" for my sister-who is allergic to gluten. I just scooped them out of the pan and pushed them into the muffin pan.

From the shape-just buttercream and cover. may have to do a couple of coats to hide some of the texture. Also, they can be carved like a cake. Just have to have a good, sharp knife.

Hope this helps some.

(my dad goes to Brisbane for work fairly often-just a side note)

mommyle Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:18am
post #3 of 6

You might want to "crunch" them a bit before shaping. So the air pockets aren't as big to fill. Also, they should be less "gooey" so that they stand up (if making say a body, or a head, or something that is integral to the structure). You can also let them air-dry overnight, and they should be sturdy enough.

patticakesnc Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:21am
post #4 of 6

Since you are not in the US, I don't know if you know how to make rice krispie treats. If not here it is:

1/4 cup butter
10 ounces marshmallows, * see note
6 cups Rice Krispies

1. Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.

3. Using buttered spatula or waxed paper, press mixture evenly into buttered 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan. Cut into squares when cool.

Yield: 24 squares, 2 x 2 inches.

Note: Use fresh marshmallows for best results.

MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS: Microwave butter and marshmallows on full power in large glass mixing bowl for 2 minutes. Stir to combine. Microwave on full power 1 1/2 to 2 minutes longer. Stir until smooth. Add cereal; stir until well coated. Press into pan as directed in Step 3.

They will cook a little and be very moldable. The melted marshmallow works as a glue. You can shave them with a sharp knife to have a better smoother side if you need to. Otherwise you can either mix them with candy clay and mold them or cover in buttercream to get a smoother finish.

Here is a link to a thread where slopokesgirl used candy clay and Rice Krispy treats together. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=623004&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

gd23 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:25am
post #5 of 6

Hi, im also from Australia

what i use is the kellog's lcm bars - they work wo well!

ive moulded so many things- just make your shape and let it dry overnight, then cover with a thick-ish layer of fondant...

for instance, i had to make a huge nose to put on a character, so i made it out of lcm bars...it was really light and i just stuck a skewer in the back of it and pushed that into the head which was cake! worked a treat!

and they are really easy to manipulate intot eh shape you want...just make sure to compress it really tightly..i had to use 4 bars to make my nose...

Leashy Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:40am
post #6 of 6

Since you are not in the US, I don't know if you know how to make rice krispie treats. If not here it is:

Ahh thanks for that - here I was thinking people were making them out of just rice krispys!!

Hi, im also from Australia

what i use is the kellog's lcm bars - they work wo well!

That's an awesome idea - thanks heaps.

My mind is at rest now!! I will get practicing although still very early days for sculpting 3D cakes - this website is one way to get inspiration that's for sure!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%