Question About Tier Cakes

Decorating By G_Cakes Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 3:45am by G_Cakes

G_Cakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:14am
post #1 of 5

I have a friend who has asked me to do a four tiered square wedding cake for her.

The colors are Red, Black and white.

What she would like is a white fondant cake with black accents and the cake itself to be red velvet cake.

I am not sure if the red velvet cake will have the right density to support the four tiers.

Can anyone advise or help with this? Thanks detective.gif

4 replies
Ballymena Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:58am
post #2 of 5

The 4 tiers have to be supported by dowels or a pillar system. This ensures that each cake sits on it's own support system and the weight of each layer is not on the cake below it.

G_Cakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:46am
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much for the info...I am newbie to this and learning as I go icon_smile.gif

JanH Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:16am
post #4 of 5

Hi and Welcome to CC, MissLizzy. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

Everything you need to know to bake, assemble and decorate tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for: doctored cake mix (WASC, and flavor variations including red velvet), crusting American buttercreams (b/c) and fondant. And so much more.

Also has link to illustrated cake support systems with complete directions, and post by leahs on SPS. Here's an additional sticky by leahs on SPS:

Get comfy, there's a lot to read.

G_Cakes Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:45am
post #5 of 5

Hi JanH wow your right lots of reading but thank you so much for the links.

I am truly hooked on this site and have invited most of my family and friends to join.

I've got my coffee and a nice comfy chair so off to read and see what I can learn ...

Quote by @%username% on %date%