Howdo I Do This?

Decorating By nickers7879 Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 4:08am by applemint_jackie

nickers7879 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickers7879 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:32am
post #1 of 8

I've sent a message to the cake owner last month but havent had a reply.
my son is into Toy story at the moment and want to make this for his 3rd birthday in 3 weeks.
i have the figurines but wondered if anyone can give some advise on

what tins i need
what typer of icing to do
How to stack them together.

I will have to transport the cake a short distance also.

Thanks!
LL

7 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:39am
post #2 of 8

That looks like a half of a ball pan on top of and 8" and a 12". Buttercream icing. Make sure you put each cake on a separate board, and dowels in your lower two tiers to support the weight of the cakes, and one long tier through all three together, so they don't slide off during transportation.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:45am
post #3 of 8

Oh JanH where are you? She has great links bout your first cakes, buttercream etc

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:58am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Oh JanH where are you? She has great links bout your first cakes, buttercream etc

That's funny but yes you are right she always knows everything. Cakemommy sounds right on what she said, I have to agree with her. Don't worry you'll do good.

nickers7879 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickers7879 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:11am
post #5 of 8

thanks everyone! i dont make cakes often, but birthdays are special occasion & i did a Wilton cookie monster which was populatr last yr so i dont want to dissapoint!
buttercream icing i can do!
i will go on the hunt for those pans.
the dowls, any idea where you get them from? (what sort of shop?)
the brown bits on the bottomw hich is like a cow print, how do u think that was done?

also how do u think the "toy story" may have been done?

applemint_jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
applemint_jackie Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:33am
post #6 of 8

hello all...me new to all these. sorry to interrupt. just wanna know sum thing..sorry, it may sound stupid. if there are cake board under each cake, how to insert dowel to go through all the tiers? i'm a learner and please guide me. sorry to interrupt again. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 8

For dowels, you can pick them up in the craft section or Wilton sells them in the cake section of stores.

Brown spots, you can use melted chocolate (not too runny though), royal icing, or buttercream. With buttercream you can smooth it w/ a finger dipped in cornstarch or powdered sugar or wait until it crusts slightly & use a viva papertowel.

Toy story was probably piped on. You can print one off poke holes w/ a toothpick (outline it w/ holes) then after your buttercream crusts rub it & it'll give an out line you can pipe over. I would start in the middle of the letters & work out.

Yes, you need a board under every different cake & you'll need dowels to support each tier too. As for a center dowel get a long one & sharpen it w/ a pencil sharpener then hammer it through. Cut before you do this so you won't have shavings on your cake

HTH

applemint_jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
applemint_jackie Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:08am
post #8 of 8

Thank you very much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%