Shaped Cakes, Copyright Laws?

Decorating By JenniferHeath Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 6:54pm by jason_kraft

JenniferHeath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferHeath Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:27am
post #1 of 4

Okay, I was wondering if the cakes that are decorated without toys (shaped cakes that look like disney or other characters; ex: wall-e, Cars, spiderman and etc.) are decorated by homebakers or do you own a bakery? I ask this because I see a lot of these beautiful cakes, but I thought that because of copyright laws bakeries couldn't sell these cakes. I was just wondering because I would love to get better at making cakes like this, but my dream is to open a bakery someday. I didn't know if I finally got good at it, if I would be able to even sell it out of my "future" bakery. Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:41am
post #2 of 4

They are either decorated by home bakers or by people willing to risk the huge fines for breaking copyright law for selling them. The shaped pans are for HOME use only (they say so right on them). It is NOT legal to sell them. If you carve or create a licensed character cake freehand or using RKT/fondant/gumpaste/etc. it is NOT legal to sell the cake. The ONLY legal way to sell copyrighted character themed cakes is to use the kits like grocery store bakeries use. Part of the license agreement to purchasing the kits from the licensed supplier is to do the cake design provided with the kit.

Becky1679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky1679 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 4

Clarification for my own good - I know you cannot use any licensed character pans to make/sell cakes. But, you can use others pans - guitar, ducky, 3D car as long as it doesn't say home use only?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky1679

Clarification for my own good - I know you cannot use any licensed character pans to make/sell cakes. But, you can use others pans - guitar, ducky, 3D car as long as it doesn't say home use only?

Correct, as long as it's a generic guitar/duck/car and not a specific model.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%