Question About Cakeboards

Decorating By sweet1122 Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 1:40pm by imartsy

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:04am
post #1 of 18

I've been hesitating to ask this because I kind of feel like it might be a stupid question, but here goes!

I bulk ordered enough cake boards to last me a lifetime because I got sick of paying roughly $1/board. I was a little surprised when they came in boxes and weren't covered. I'm used to buying them either from the bakery, which I would trust to keep them clean, or wrapped in plastic packages from Wilton.

I'm a little weary about putting a cake directly on one of these boards. When I do a tiered cake I always have one board, uncovered, under the cake. I'm wondering if I should only use these boards for my bases and continue to buy the Wilton ones for directly under the cake. (?)

Thanks for helping!

17 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:20am
post #2 of 18

I'm sorry if I'm being dense (it's been a long day), but what do you mean by "uncovered" - they were in the shipping box loose instead of being shrink-wrapped - or - the boards don't have food-safe foil on them?

dsimkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsimkovic Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:05am
post #3 of 18

I'm guessing you mean they're "naked cardboard"...?

Wilton sells silver and gold foil you can put on them. I use it alot. It comes in rolls like wrapping paper.

Here's a question for those reading this, though. I've considered looking in the floral section for stuff with a pattern to it, or different colors. The person who posted before me said "food safe foil" so now I'm thinking floral foil wouldn't be food safe and I should avoid it....hmm

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:27am
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet1122

" I'm used to buying them either from the bakery, which I would trust to keep them clean...

Guess what: When you buy them from the bakery, they have ordered them in bulk, just as you, and that's how they come. Shipped straight up in a cardboard box, same as you received.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:56am
post #5 of 18

I always wrap all of my boards in food safe foil. I don't even know why I started doing that, but I think that it just looks nicer when you cut the cake than plain cardboard. It only takes a couple minutes to do.

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:19am
post #6 of 18

I always wrap my boards for that very reason. You never know where they have been before they came to you.

If I'm using a board in a tiered cake I just wrap it in wax paper.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:23am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsabol2000

I've considered looking in the floral section for stuff with a pattern to it, or different colors. The person who posted before me said "food safe foil" so now I'm thinking floral foil wouldn't be food safe and I should avoid it....hmm

Not all floral foil is food safe. Some of the colors have lead in them and shouldn't come in direct contact with food, especially greasy or acidic foods.

You can search google for some options. globalsugarart.com has several colors:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=871

HTH
Rae

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:30pm
post #8 of 18

Another question......

What about the cakes that are on cakeboard/foamcore board & they are covered in paper? Not sure if it's wrapping paper or craft paper, but I would think that wouldn't be food safe either?

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:42pm
post #9 of 18

I have covered boards in scrapbooking paper then covered that in parchment paper, or even wax would work. You don't get the full color and pattern, but you can tell it's a different color.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:53pm
post #10 of 18

at tims i use new plastic table cloth but with foil on the board first,or just normal wilton cake foil

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:11pm
post #11 of 18

I wrap all my boards in either Wilton Fancy Foil or I use the white freezer paper. It works great. And its more reasonably priced then fancy foil. When stacking teirs I always wrap my boards with wax paper.

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:47pm
post #12 of 18

This is not a stupid question. I recently purchased some loose cake boards from a local shop and I am a little nervous about putting a cake directly on them as I am used to purchasing the Wilton ones that are bundled together with the package wrapping. I think I will be wrapping them with something food safe.

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 7:26pm
post #13 of 18

Thanks you guys! I appreciate all the replies. I think I'll try wax paper. It needs to be something that I can drill a center dowel through when I do my tiers.

As far as foil: I was recently at a friend's bridal shower party and the cake they had ordered was a 10 inch/6inch tiered cake. There was a foil covered cake board under the top tier. It was just regular foil and it completely shredded when it was being cut and the person cutting the cake had to sit there and pick out little bits of foil and try to make sure it didn't get in anyone's cake. I learned right there that I will never be doing that!

dsimkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsimkovic Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:03pm
post #14 of 18

Sweet

don't let that experience deter you from the food safe foil from Wilton. It has a paper backing and doesn't shred like regular foil. I think it also gives a nice finished look to cake boards where they're going to show.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:45pm
post #15 of 18

I use freezer paper. It works great.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:59pm
post #16 of 18

For me it depends on where it is going. I know you can use wrapping paper then place plastic wrap over it to make it food safe. however do not sit it directly on the wrapping paper or else there can be toxins released into the cake and you could get a grease ring.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 1:09pm
post #17 of 18

For my boards under tiers, I use Glad Press n Wrap. I love it becuase it sticks right to the cardboard and saves me from a lot of taping. Also, it doesn't stick to the iced cake underneath.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 1:40pm
post #18 of 18

Ok how do you cover boards with wax paper imbetween for tiers? And why? I never have....I actually tried once, but I couldn't figure out how you covered the sides of it or how you keep from having a bump on the underneath (from wrapping it around - the edges have to end somewhere and I thought they did in the middle on the bottom side)?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%