Question About This Recipe

Baking By jlcotto Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 1:48am by prterrell

jlcotto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcotto Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 2

Hey everyone,

I am new to cake decorating, and I have a question about this cake recipe below. You obviously have to keep the cake refrigerated once it's on the the cake because it has cream and butter in it, but when I took it out of the fridge before to put it onto the cake it was like a solid stick of butter (which I figured it would be), but as I was mixing it back up with my mixer I saw what looked like "pats" of butter would be.

I mixed it up well before, but my concern is, that once the cake is in the fridge and then I take it out before the party tomorrow that it's going to congeal again and form pats of butter.

Should I worry about this or no? What is typically done in this situation, because I am worried that my family is going to bite into a pat of butter, and I know I'd be grossed out, so I'm sure they would be to!! haha

Please help me. See the recipe I used below....

Almond Buttercream Icing

Ingredients
  3 cups 10x powdered sugar
  4 egg yolks
  2 eggs
  1/3 cup almond paste, softened
  1/4 teaspoon salt
  1 cup heavy cream
  1 teaspoon vanilla
  2 cups butter, at room temperature
Directions
1.  Combine sugar, egg yolks, eggs, almond paste and salt in medium size saucepan.
2.  Beat with electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
3.  Beat in cream and vanilla until blended.
4.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 6 minutes until mixture just starts simmering
5.  Strain into large bowl.
6.  Refrigerate for 1 1/2 hours or until chilled.
7.  Beat in butter with electric mixer until fluffy (Icing can be made up to 1 week in advance, cover in airtight container and store in refrigerator).
8.  Let stand at room temperature until good spreading consistency.

1 reply
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:48am
post #2 of 2

Did you start re-mixing before or after it had come to room temp?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%