Red Velvet Wasc

Decorating By sherirose Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 3:49pm by Rosie2

sherirose Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 21

I am in the process of trying MacsMom Red Velvet Cake, WASC version. I have added:
2 boxes white cake mix
1 box of dark chocolate cake mix
2 pkg choc pudding
2-3/4 c flour
1/4 c cocoa powder
3 c sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
3 c sour cream
8 whole eggs
1/3 c oil
2 TBS vanilla

As I am writing this the mixture is sitting on my counter to thick to stir. There has got to be some wet ingrediant I am missing. Please help.

20 replies
Toptier Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:41am
post #2 of 21

Ok, I'm looking at the recipe...here it is, HTH

2 boxes white cake mix
1 box dark chocolate cake mix
2 pkg chocolate pudding
2 teaspoons salt
3 c flour
3 c sugar
3 c sour cream
3 cups vanilla coffee creamer
1 cup water
1/3 c oil
9 eggs
2 tablespoons butter flavoring
2 (1oz) jars Wilton red-red

sherirose Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 21

Thank you for the reply. I was missing the coffee creamer. You saved my cake.

ATCakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 21

I think you ate missing the water too

MacsMom Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 21

Awesome! You're gonna love it. And don't worry about it sitting for a while before it makes it into the oven, I think the texture actauly improves when it sits!

Here is link to several variations of WASC we've been playing with:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

...and how it all got started
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6313902-.html#6313902

jessi01 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 21

I'll have to try this..
I usually use the regular wasc recipe and just sub red velvet mix's for the white and use all vanilla extract instead of the almond.. works perfectly.

tiggy2 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:36pm
post #7 of 21

Are these suppose to be the same recipe? The 2nd one has sugar, water, creamer, red food coloring, and salt and the first one doesn't. It also has different amounts of ingredients then the 1st.

QueenOfSweets Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 21

MacsMom - that first link you posted is absolutely AMAZING! I have several customers who love the WASC (over a scratch cake) and my family prefers WASC as well. This is an extraordinary list!

Thanks a bunch for posting it!!

MacsMom Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Are these suppose to be the same recipe? The 2nd one has sugar, water, creamer, red food coloring, and salt and the first one doesn't. It also has different amounts of ingredients then the 1st.

The second one is the correct recipe. To make a smaller batch, use 1 white mix, then measure out the dark chocolate mix to use half of it... and then use half of everything else icon_rolleyes.gif

BabeyCakey Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 11:18pm
post #10 of 21

Is anyone else having trouble finding the BC dark chocolate? I have found chocolate, double chocolate, german chocolate, etc...but no dark chocolate...I haven't been able to try the recipe yet because of that. Can I substitute just regular chocolate cake mix instead?

Rosie2 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 11:30pm
post #11 of 21

The Wilton (1oz) jars red-red...are they the regular wilton gel/paste colors that you find at Michaels??

MacsMom Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:41am
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabeyCakey

Is anyone else having trouble finding the BC dark chocolate? I have found chocolate, double chocolate, german chocolate, etc...but no dark chocolate...I haven't been able to try the recipe yet because of that. Can I substitute just regular chocolate cake mix instead?

I know, it is hard to find. The only place I've found it in CA is Vons and Pak-n-Save.

Use devils food cake and, if you can find it, Hershey's special dark cocoa powder.

MacsMom Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:42am
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

The Wilton (1oz) jars red-red...are they the regular wilton gel/paste colors that you find at Michaels??

Yep! Them'r the ones icon_wink.gif

BabeyCakey Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:48am
post #14 of 21

Thanks Macsmom - how much of the special dark chocolate do I use with the devils food cake?

MacsMom Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:54am
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabeyCakey

Thanks Macsmom - how much of the special dark chocolate do I use with the devils food cake?

Oh! Sorry. Instead of 3 cups flour you would use 2 2/3 c flour and 1/3 c cocoa.

BabeyCakey Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:04am
post #16 of 21

Thank you!!

BlondiezBakery Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:37am
post #17 of 21

I was looking for this recipe! I have never made it before...is it good?!? Is it good for carving?

MacsMom Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:29am
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondiezBakery

I was looking for this recipe! I have never made it before...is it good?!? Is it good for carving?

It's my favorite RV. It's good for carving topsys, but I add 6 to 8 oz melted chocolate to any cake that needs more intricate carving like a car or animal. (For the RV I'd add white chocolate).

I was searching high and low for a great tasting cake that was also carve-able, and the WASC fit the bill perfectly.

Rosie2 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:58pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Yep! Them'r the ones icon_wink.gif

Thank yu MacsMom and sorry to ask stupid questions....using two jars would not turn the cake bitter?
I found red food coloring at my grocery store...it's a 1oz jar and it's by McMormicks so, do I also add 2 of these?
Ok, thank you very much!!

MacsMom Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:13am
post #20 of 21

McCormick's isn't as intense as red-red. I even prefer the red-red to Americolor's super red. But it doesn't have to be such a deep red, so the McCormick's should suffice icon_wink.gif .

Rosie2 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:49pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

McCormick's isn't as intense as red-red. I even prefer the red-red to Americolor's super red. But it doesn't have to be such a deep red, so the McCormick's should suffice icon_wink.gif .

Thank you very much for answering my question.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%