Sea Shell Colors

Decorating By tmcakes Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 11:13am by i_heart_pastry

tmcakes Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 10

Any suggestions for lust dust colors to use for natural looking seashells. I am doing a sea shell themed wedding cake for April 25 and need suggetions on luster dust colors that will go well with an Ivory tone icing. I have never purchased luster dust online and is not sure about how close the colors will match once I get them. Any suggestions?

9 replies
jensenscakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:28am
post #2 of 10

I would think that colors like bronze, brown, and orange or maybe a dark gold tone would work. I've looked at the shades online and they are pretty much spot on with what you'll buy. If you're that worried see if there's a specialty cooking store that carries them. That way you can see what they look like in person.

tmcakes Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:30am
post #3 of 10

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions I was was thinking of going with thoese same colors but was not sure. I have tried the local stores here but they only have maybe two or three colors. One of them said non-edible so that really worried me in regards to putting it on a cake ment to be eaten of course.

brincess_b Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 10

id think peachy pink colours too.
if you look online, some websites will show a good picture of what is in the tube, if you dont have anything local, thats about as good a guess as you can get.
if you end up getting them online, it might be worth calling the place to ask their opinion of the colours too.

kakeladi Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 10

pearl dusts in colors: blue, pink, orange pearl........they have just a hint of color and give a really good sea shell shine and beauty.
If you don't have any mix a tiny bit of color into some super pearl icon_smile.gif

tmcakes Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:55am
post #6 of 10

so are the luster dust and pearl dust two different things. I have used pearl dust before but I was thinking the luster dust was the same thing? Are they? can anyone give me the difference between the two?

sgauta Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 12:29pm
post #7 of 10

I'm also doing a cake with handmade shells next month and I wasn't sure what to order either. I ended up going with 'mushroom', 'cocoa', 'tan opal', and 'oyster.' I'm going to try gold too, I already have some of that at home. I haven't received them yet so I can't tell you how they look! My client specifically wants browns/tans/creams though, that's why I didn't go with any oranges or pinks. I'm sure they'd look great though! There was one color I saw called 'shrimp' that looked like a good one for shells. I'm not sure of the difference between pearl dust and luster dust...I know petal dust is a matte finish and luster is metallic, but I don't know about pearl. I'm kind of new to the 'dusts'! icon_biggrin.gif

tmcakes Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:21am
post #8 of 10

Thanks Sarah, where did you order those colors seems like I will end up going with the colors you suggested and also the ones that were mentioned earlier. I will see that they dont go to waste. thanks everyone!

sgauta Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:54am
post #9 of 10

Well, I got them yesterday and I LOVE the oyster -- it gives that sort of iridescent, purplish effect. I'm not too crazy about the mushroom, it's a little too grayish for me. The cocoa is okay though. Happy shell making!!

i_heart_pastry Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:13am
post #10 of 10

For this cake:

I used gold pearl, super pearl, coral, champagne, old gold, oyster, and georgia peach. I also used lavendar and teal, as the bride wanted those colors mixed in. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%