Starting A Cake Decorating Class

Business By SomethingSweetbyJ Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 2:20am by southaustingirl

SomethingSweetbyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SomethingSweetbyJ Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 3

I my name is Jenny and I have just been asked to start a decorating class at a new backery. I am honored (I already work for another bakery and they heard about me through word of mouth) and excited. I love what I do. I will be teaching the staff they have already hired (it sounds like they need help) and I will be holding cake decorating classes for the public as well. I have done a search online, but I am not coming up with the information that I want. For the public, I would like to know how advanced I should get in a 1-2 hour time frame. What works and what doesn't. How much should I asked to be payed (I am a pastry chef with a degree and I will be giving them the recipes that I have found are the best). How much should I charge for each person to attend? Any pointers would be great!
Jenny

2 replies
SomethingSweetbyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SomethingSweetbyJ Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 3

I spelled bakery wrong...how silly do I look!

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:20am
post #3 of 3

Since you will be teaching the staff, I'd get more information about their skill level. Then desing my class to meet their needs. You may have to teach different classes based on the varying skill level of the staff.

Are you limited to just one class that is 1-2 hours long? Can you teach more?

For the classes that will be offered to the public, you might want to consider the Wilton class method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%