Grainy Bc!

Decorating By SCbyWhit Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 11:18pm by Rylan

SCbyWhit Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, so I made SugarShack's BC frosting, watched the video and all, and my frosting turned out GRAINY!!! What did I do wrong?! Can I fix it? PLEASE let me know!!

5 replies
paula19 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 6

I haven't tried doing that icing, but maybe it has the same problem as wilton's icing? I use the class Bc icing and in the beginning I had problems with it being grainy too, but the solution is to sift the powdered sugar. Do you do that? And if you do sift, are you mixing the ingredients in order, as in mixing the dry ingredients last? Because if you put the ps first and then liquids, it can form clumps. I heard it can also happen if you let the icing stay out for a while before storing it or using it. Maybe it's the same for SS's Bc? Hopefully someone with more experience can help you out icon_smile.gif

CakeMommy3 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 6

did you use sweetex or crisco? i tried it with crisco just to see what would happen and it was really grainy

JCE62108 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 6

I have heard that using low quality shortening can cause it to be grainy. I have read that crisco is the recommended shortening. I have used crisco and never noticed any graininess.

SCbyWhit Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 6

Yeeeees, I did use Crisco. That's probably it! I'll try the Sweetex this time. Thanks for the input!

Rylan Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 6

I actually have this problem when I make my buttercream all the time. I use storebrand shortening and whenever I overmix it, it feels like theres sand on the icing once I taste it. So what I do is that I add more milk or any liquid mixture, then I keep beating it... It turns out fine. Although it feels too fluffy but still workable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%