How I Made My Mold For The Sugar Beer Bottles.....with Pics!

Sugar Work By ThisNameInUse Updated 19 Aug 2014 , 1:10am by CEPIN

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:40pm
post #61 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisNameInUse

I noticed the darker color in the neck, too....

I made a green bottle and wanted to make sure that didn't happen, so once I made sure the entire bottle was coated inside well, when the liquid started to "set" a tiny bit I let it run out the bottom of the mold. It REALLY helped with making the color more even throughout the bottle, and I think I'm going to do that with all of them from now on.

You're a genious!!! really...I love all your tips and advice, thank you, thank you, thank you!!
Quick question: how long do you think the bottles last? the reason I'm asking is because I'm dying to make them icon_biggrin.gif but...I don't have the need for them until 3-4 months icon_sad.gif
I've read/heard here that sugar is a preservative, but for how long...(?)
I'm sure no one would eat the bottles, but they'll go on a cake and I want to make sure.

Rosie.. The sample bottles I made have kept up very well, and that was about 4 months ago. They are vulnerable to heat, light, and humidity, so keep them in a cool, dark place and you should be fine. Even the edible image labels have not faded at all... hth

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:40pm
post #62 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

Rosie.. The sample bottles I made have kept up very well, and that was about 4 months ago. They are vulnerable to heat, light, and humidity, so keep them in a cool, dark place and you should be fine. Even the edible image labels have not faded at all... hth

Laura, how are you?? thank you very much for your response!! I will get busy then icon_smile.gif...It's such a cool project!!

kincaellan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kincaellan Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:07am
post #63 of 134

We teach these skills in the advanced class, and I have to say that the clay support is a good idea but....

If you make a fairly thick paper mache' support for the bottle mould (while the bottle is in the mould) one half at a time then you have a cheap cheap light weight 3 dimensional support for the mould. It won't react with the latex either but it's heat resistant. You can put the paper mache' support together with elastic bands, then put the mould in it, and pour your sugar in it. Swirl it around an you're done.

www.kincaellan.com

nasty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nasty Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:30am
post #64 of 134

I'm so excited!!! I just wanted to thank everyone on here who gave great tips and instructions on how to make sugar beer bottles. I'm still considered new to the cake world. I have never used sugar before. I was brave enough to try and guess what? I have a finished Bud Light Lime sugar bottle on my table!!!! I even put the fondant wedge of lime in it. It has some flaws, but I will make more tomorrow. Mold Builder was GREAT!!!

ThisNameInUse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThisNameInUse Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 12:55pm
post #65 of 134

Kincaellan...I clicked your link and all I have to say it WOW! What a wonderful skill you have to be able to make such beautiful things.... I am so jealous! My daughter is going to college this year for Baking and Pastry Arts, and I SOOOO hope they teach her sugar work.

Nasty! Congrats! LOL! That was the first time I made anything out of sugar, too! My first bottle had a little hole in the side where the sugar didn't cover, but the rest of it looked good. The more I made, the better they looked...I only needed 3 for the cake but I made 8 for no reason! My husband said "Umm what are you going to do with the rest of them?" I said I am going to set them on the table and stare at them because they are so cool and I can't believe that *I* made them! LOL

I don't even know how to make a rose out of buttercream, but I can make a bottle out of poured sugar! LOL

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:12pm
post #66 of 134

Sorry, I am a little late reading this thread and need to ask a question about the mold making process.

Do you rotate the bottle after the first layer, first side dries and then do the other side? IF that is right, do you over lap the "mold maker"?

Thanks,

Hazel

threematbros Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threematbros Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:30pm
post #67 of 134

Amazing tutorial - thanks so much for sharing.

And BTW love your screen name.

ThisNameInUse Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:55pm
post #68 of 134

MBHazel....

I stand the bottle on a piece of wax paper, brush the mold builder on the bottle from top to bottom, and onto the wax paper about an inch or so. I worked my way around the entire bottle by turning the wax paper, (sorta like using it as a turntable) but I never moved or lifted the bottle from the paper at all. Cover the entire bottle in a layer of the mold builder, let it dry, and then cover the entire bottle again, and again, and again...LOL

I brushed it on pretty thin with the first couple layers. I had never worked with anything like that ever and wasn't really sure how long it would take to dry. Once I had a few layers on and got the hang of it, I wasn't afraid of putting it on a little thicker. For me, it was about 11 layers total before I felt like it was ready to peel off the bottle. It might not take that many, but I wanted to be safe....

My kid said the mold feels like a rubber chicken...LOL...and he's right...It's rubbery, flexible, and about the same thickness.

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:02pm
post #69 of 134

Thanks, I got it now!!!

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:36am
post #70 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisNameInUse

I made some ice today.

I got out my aluminum foil and crinkled it, and then I sprayed it with cooking spray, but I noticed my spray had a yellowish tint to it. It isn't the butter flavor, just regular, so I decided to use Crisco instead. It worked great!

THEN, I thought, well why couldn't I grease an ice cube tray with Crisco, and make actual cubes?

I did it, and it worked, too! They popped right out of the tray, just like real ice.

They do have a yellowish tint to them. It isn't terrible, but I think I am going to try not cooking it so long next time.

I had this problem too, yellowish ice, I found that by using a very tiny amount of light blue food color gave the "ice" a more realistic appearance.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 12:43pm
post #71 of 134

All I can say is wow! Thanks so much for this tutorial. I don't do cakes yet. I have been thinking about learning to decorate cakes to add this to my cookie business. I think I have found the push I need. This is absolutely gorgeous. I love it.
Thanks so much

spunkybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkybear Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:23pm
post #72 of 134

I am going to attempt this!! Headed out to Michaels for supplies. Can you give me an idea of drying time on the mold making?? Will I have time to pull this off for a cake due on Friday???

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:35pm
post #73 of 134

thank you so much for the awesome tutorial!!!

I can't wait to try this out some day =D

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:42pm
post #74 of 134

Thanks SO much for the excellent tutorial and pictures!!!!
You ROCK!!! icon_cool.gif
Now I am not so afraid to try sugar bottles!!!!
And the tip about using ice trays for the ice.......well, that was
pure genius!!!!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:54pm
post #75 of 134

What department at Michaels do I find the mold builder? I'm going after work with my 40% off coupon.

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:07pm
post #76 of 134

You did a great job!! This is great!! Also, thanks for sharing!!

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:12pm
post #77 of 134

Do please get this into the tutorials so we can find it when we need it.

jhale0622 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhale0622 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:15pm
post #78 of 134

I did not understand what you made the ice out of.

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:22pm
post #79 of 134

I can't believe this sprouted up today!!! I was looking for a sugar bottle tutorial but was having problems finding one. Many thanks, it came out great!!!

krazyb5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazyb5 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:36pm
post #80 of 134

thanks for the step by step tutorial, love it. thanks

NiteOwl4evr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NiteOwl4evr Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:08pm
post #81 of 134

Fantastic tutorial. I have been wanting to make one of these soooo bad and actually saw this mold builder but wasn't sure that is what I needed. I know what I am doing this weekend!!!! With your pictorial tutorial I feel confident that I can make this successfully. Thank you Thank you.

ThisNameInUse Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:30pm
post #82 of 134

I'm sorry I didn't see this before today!

The mold took me two days total to make, total...from the first layer being brushed on to peeling it off the real bottle.

I don't remember what section it was sold in at Michael's or Hobby Lobby...I'm thinking it was where they sell the clay products.

Or, do what I do when I don't know exactly where something is in those stores,..I just ask the salesperson to point me in the right direction...because I find if I start wandering through the store looking for something, I usually ending up spending a whole lot more $ on stuff that I found "on the way" while looking for that ONE thing I walked in for originally. LOL

My hubby makes the joke before I go to those stores..."OK,...what is your MISSION?".... My answer "To buy only what I came for blah blah blah..."

I made the ice out of 1/2 clear corn syrup and 1/2 sugar...nuked it the same way but for a little less time.

Handymama, can you tell me how to post it as a tutorial? I went to the article page but didn't see how to add a new one.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:50pm
post #83 of 134

Hmm-no I don't know how to get it there. There's a "tutorials" section within "articles", but I don't see how to upload to it. I think we need a moderator's help on this one.

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:22pm
post #84 of 134

This is great! Thank you!!

asul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asul Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:18pm
post #85 of 134

Thans so much icon_biggrin.gif I had always wondered how those were made. You are very kind for sharing this with all of us. thumbs_up.gif

tasha27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasha27 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:56pm
post #86 of 134

Thanks for the how to I have to make one of these

shanna_banana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanna_banana Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:41am
post #87 of 134

When you pour the sugar in the mold, do you let it coat the sides and then pour it out? Or is the bottle solid when it's finished?

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:02pm
post #88 of 134

I printed this topic out a while back but never had the time to do it. About three weeks ago, I made the mould and was surprised at how easy it was. I used 12 coats and it is perfect. I let it cure well between coats.

This weekend I finally made a bottle. It came out ok but I had one very noticeable fault. I poured all the sugar in and when I put it to dry, it pooled the excess. Reading through the post, I guess that I needed to keep rotating it some more. But I was really pleased as to how easy it was to do.

Thanks to all CCers for their detailed help - you are the Best!!

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:09pm
post #89 of 134

Thank for the info.

alischea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alischea Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:09pm
post #90 of 134

Thank you so much for the visual... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%