Hol(E)Y Fondant!!! Lol What Am I Doing Wrong????

Decorating By thepinklotusstore Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 8:05pm by thepinklotusstore

thepinklotusstore Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 7

Hehehe..Hey ladies (and gents??)
I wonder...
I don' have too much experience covering cakes in fondant, and the ones I've done the fondant is never ever silky smooth, meaning that it always seems porous, some smaller collection of pores and some are really big, well and also tearing (to reveal the BC underneath, is it that I coat it too thick with BC?)
Ive used wilton fondant and satin ice and had the same result! (Ive tried kneading it with PS, cornstarch and even with only shortening thinking the powder dries it out?)
I try rolling it really well and not taking too long at all to put it on the cake (so it wont dry out) I also usually roll it about 3/16 " thick which is the closest I can get to 1/4" ...Why is this happening??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
yelle66 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know about the bubbles, but I know especially with Satin Ice, I couldn't roll it out on cornstarch b/c it got WAY too dry and even adding shortening didn't help it. I do a really thin layer of shortening (but enough so it doesn't stick) on the surface and roll it out on that and then roll it over my pin and lay it over the cake. Oh and I just do a light crumb coat under my fondant b/c I HATE when it squishes out anywhere.

allie73 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 7

There are some very good tutorials on applying fondant on YouTube. I think you will find them very helpful (sorry, can't post link from this computer).

I find that if I knead the fondant well with shortening-greased hands, then roll it out (I use cooking spray - it works a treat!) fairly thin and really make sure it's adhered to the top of the cake and the top 1/4 of the sides before I start smoothing out the rest, I don't have trouble with tearing or the "pores" that you are talking about.

I also always start with a cake that is very well-chilled. Nothing will exacerbate fondant issues faster than a mushy foundation.

It took me a lot of practice to get this right, but be patient and you'll get there, too.

SUELA Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 7

I do a relatively thin coating of BC underneath the fondant. I have never used Satin Ice, but wilton i know is more forgiving than others I have tried.

I would also try to check underneath the fondant while you are rolling that there are no bubbles in it as that can make areas thinner.

thepinklotusstore Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks to you both! lol
I do knead it with shortening boh on my hands and on the wilton mat, and I have watched every single how to fondant tutorial on youtube lol but those little holes are always there!! gosh maybe its only me icon_sad.gif

kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 7

It sounds to me like you are not kneading it enough.

thepinklotusstore Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 7

Hmmm, for a while I thought maybe I had kneaded it too much (if there is such a thing)... Cause I kneaded it for ever (at least this last one ) trying to get the right color icon_eek.gif (I was the one with the burgundy buttercream freak out member ?? hehehehehe ) icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%