Oh What A Day:(

Decorating By bakingatthebeach Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 1:18am by missannie2

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 3

So our nursing unit decided to give our housekeeper a wedding cake as a gift because she wasnt going to have a cake. So we all pitched in for the ingredients and I was going to make it. So I got up at 5 and began baking. Half way through icing (like the smoothing part) I get a call from work. Our housekeepers mother has passed away so they are pushing back the wedding date. So I look at my half done cake and say hmmm, I gotta do something with it, so I will just practice what I was going to do for her wedding cake but omit the fondant. So I go to stack it using my SPS system and realize one must put legs in the plate before adding the cake. So after I get the legs on, go to stick it in the cake and its about an inch too high (maybe 1/2 and inch) either or, too high. So I decide to dowel. Then I try draping for the first time. Went ok until I noticed I put the draping on the bottom tier the wrong direction. So I flip it the right way, smooth the icing the best I can. Add the flowers and here it is. Dont look at the icing, was planning on using MMF so its not a great smooth job. Learned lots of what not to do when I do the actual cake. The calla lillies and roses are gumpaste with gold luster (her colors were ivory and gold). Will post the REAL cake when the wedding happens.
LL

2 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 3

How sad for the bride!
I didn't see a pic of the cake in your photo's, did you just post it?

missannie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missannie2 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:18am
post #3 of 3

How sad, but your cake is lovely

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%