Fondant

Decorating By JO116 Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 8:33pm by brincess_b

JO116 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 7

I have never covered a cake with fondant because it gets so hard. Is there a kind of fondant that stays pliable?

6 replies
kweenofengland Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 7

I am not an expert but i only cover my cakes with marshmellow fondant that i make myself. i think most people do the same. I use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipe found on this site.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3183-Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF.html

sometime i use wilton fondant for accents that can easily be pulled off, but to eat, i use MMF! also, i have trouble with this MMF being too pliable but I add corn starch and it has helped tremendously!

Good luck!

jensenscakes Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 7

I love that recipie but I've found I have to make it the day before otherwise it's almost too soft to use. So it helps to let it sit overnight and firm up.

JO116 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the tip on fondant, I will have to try this MMF. I took a class from Susan O'Boyle Jacobson a few years ago and she mixed the fondant with gumpaste. That was the only way I knew to do this. It makes lovely flowers but gets so hard. Thanks again.

JenniferMI Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 7

I personally would NEVER mix gumpaste with fondant to cover a cake. I'm a chocolate fondant gal ALL the way. Would never use anything but that. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

kweenofengland Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 7

'I love that recipie but I've found I have to make it the day before otherwise it's almost too soft to use. So it helps to let it sit overnight and firm up.'

yes, i always make mine at least a day before if not 2 days before and still i use cornstarch. now, i am gonna ask cakebabe about this chocolate fondant!

brincess_b Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 7

fondant on its own is much better for coving a cake. gum paste makes great flowers cause it goes so thin and dry, that not really something you want to eat though.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%