Fondant

Decorating By JO116 Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 8:33pm by brincess_b

JO116  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JO116 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 7

I have never covered a cake with fondant because it gets so hard. Is there a kind of fondant that stays pliable?

6 replies
 kweenofengland  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 7

I am not an expert but i only cover my cakes with marshmellow fondant that i make myself. i think most people do the same. I use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipe found on this site.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3183-Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF.html

sometime i use wilton fondant for accents that can easily be pulled off, but to eat, i use MMF! also, i have trouble with this MMF being too pliable but I add corn starch and it has helped tremendously!

Good luck!

jensenscakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 7

I love that recipie but I've found I have to make it the day before otherwise it's almost too soft to use. So it helps to let it sit overnight and firm up.

JO116  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JO116 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the tip on fondant, I will have to try this MMF. I took a class from Susan O'Boyle Jacobson a few years ago and she mixed the fondant with gumpaste. That was the only way I knew to do this. It makes lovely flowers but gets so hard. Thanks again.

JenniferMI  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 7

I personally would NEVER mix gumpaste with fondant to cover a cake. I'm a chocolate fondant gal ALL the way. Would never use anything but that. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

kweenofengland  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 7

'I love that recipie but I've found I have to make it the day before otherwise it's almost too soft to use. So it helps to let it sit overnight and firm up.'

yes, i always make mine at least a day before if not 2 days before and still i use cornstarch. now, i am gonna ask cakebabe about this chocolate fondant!

brincess_b  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 7

fondant on its own is much better for coving a cake. gum paste makes great flowers cause it goes so thin and dry, that not really something you want to eat though.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%