Football Stadium

Decorating By tnval Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 12:21pm by majka_ze

tnval Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 5

I'm going to attempt to make OU Sooner Football stadium and would like any advice on the best way to make the stands and tiered stands effect. Also, how do I cover the stands with the red and white non-pareils without making a mess on the football field itself? What's the best way to support all of it and should all of it be cake or do I use foam? If using foam blocks where do I get them and what is there formal name? Any and all advice is welcome!

4 replies
majka_ze Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 10:50am
post #2 of 5

It depends. I looked up a picture and in my opinion, it can be made completely from cake, without big problems.
I tried to plan it from a picture, see in the attachment.
You could even make it in sections and glue it together with a little buttercream, even with fondant.

Start with a sheet cake (rectangular cake, anyway). The field and the lower part of stands (in green and blue) would be one or two layers. The higher part are the blue and green parts cut at angle in next layer, set on top of it.
The tiered stands (I hope this is it - English is not my first language) are the yellow part. This is a layer of cake set on side. It is braced at the stands, it should have enough stability. The real "hanging" details I would do with pastillage or thin foam (thin insulation foam from home depot or similar). Or fondant or modelling paste, but you need to let it dry very hard.

The red and white:
Do you want to make it in buttercream or in fondant?
In buttercream - cover the whole white, let it crust or firm up in fridge. Cover the white parts with paper strips, cover it with thin layer of red buttercream.
In fondant, simply lay strips of red fondant over the white.

Does it make sense to you?
LL

tnval Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 11:44am
post #3 of 5

Thank you Thank you thank you for your time and spelling that all out for me. I'm a little intimidated with this cake. I think I understand most of what you said. How would you put the overhanging stands above the second row (blue and green area) The yellow part is the press box with several windows on the other side. I'll do what you said and make it cake......do I use the fondant or foam to make the levels with spaces in between? I think now that you've given me a layout I'm getting a good feel for it but still stumped, as I said, on putting that hanging "crowd" section up at the top. How in the world do I support it without it sagging? Should it be cake, rice cripies or cut foam.....it goes at an angle like the stands below. You're a life saver and thanks so much for your time in helping me make this a success!

tnval Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 11:47am
post #4 of 5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you Thank you thank you for your time and spelling that all out for me. I'm a little intimidated with this cake. I think I understand most of what you said. How would you put the overhanging stands above the second row (blue and green area) The yellow part is the press box with several windows on the other side. I'll do what you said and make it cake......do I use the fondant or foam to make the levels with spaces in between? I think now that you've given me a layout I'm getting a good feel for it but still stumped, as I said, on putting that hanging "crowd" section up at the top. How in the world do I support it without it sagging? Should it be cake, rice cripies or cut foam.....it goes at an angle like the stands below. You're a life saver and thanks so much for your time in helping me make this a success!

majka_ze Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 5

I think I found little better pictures of the hanging section.
Or if you have a photo (from outside, all I found are from inside) or drawing and you could send it to me, I can look it up again.

The hanging crowd section I would make from pastillage / fondant / foam.
The work is mostly the same and either one should hold the form well.
Are the real construction supports pillars or are there walls?
You can use wooden skewers or pop sticks as pillars (going through the lower levels in the cake board.

If there are walls, I would use pastillage / foam / cookies instead, glue the whole upper part together (off the cake). It should get flat bottom and this I would again set on dowels through the lower part. In this case, I would construct it similar to gingerbread house. Do you know what I mean?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%